Question SSD for pictures

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
One of my hobbies is photography. I have plenty of DSLR RAW pictures that I store and process (into jpeg or intermediate tiff sometimes) RAWS are about 20-30 Mb, intermediate tiffs weight 100-150 Mb and the final .jpeg about 5-12 Mb

Right now I have a fast NVME SSD with OS and Apps with plenty of space (about 40% free space), but not enough to store all the pictures. My pictures (that I do backup) are stored in an older HDD in the same system with other stuff (that I don't backup). I have a second (even older) HDD where I backup both, my NVME data and my pictures.

I feel that:
  1. soon I'll need a bit more space for pictures
  2. processing and transferring the pictures in the HDD, is sometimes a bit slow, but not always (compared with doing so in the NVME)
  3. since HDD is old I think renewing the storage will increase reliability.

I was wondering if adding cheap 2TB sata SSD (the cheapest i've seen recently in my country is Patriot P210 2TB, but that may change) will be fast enough for my photoprocessing needs. Considering that I just read/write move around full files of the sizes mentioned above). I know that dramless SSDs are slower, but considering I write/read/move multi MB files maybe that is not an issue.
The alternative is to buy a newer, bigger, HDD, that will address points 1 & 3, but will probably do nothing on the performance side (it may even be possible that new bigger HDDs are even slower).

Thanks in advance.

USAFRet

Titan
for example going from a 980 pro to 970 evo plus will increase boot times by 2 times. only will boot from about 10-20 seconds to 5-10 seconds.
And no controlled test I've ever seen shows this.

5 seconds?
That is either not from a true 'power off', or a system so optimized as to be basically unusable for anything else.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-windows-10-boot-time,5810.html

In any case, this is totally irrelevant.
The OP is happy with his drives and config, I am happy with my drives and config.