SSD for use in VLSI simulation workstation

friendlyhobo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I'm a graduate student currently in charge of speccing parts for a new VLSI CAD workstation (CADENCE software tools). All of the project files will be stored on a file server we have setup. But this workstation will be the one running the simulations, design software, and other tools. I have a budget of $2000. The software we're using only takes about 80GB on the disk, so I was thinking a 250 GB SSD would be sufficient.

This is the rig as of current:note: we are reusing an old PSU from a decommissioned server

Also a keyboard, mouse, and some other necessary peripherals. The total cost as of right now is about $1550. Since I am under budget I've been looking into a faster SSD. However I'm not certain how much this will help since most of the files will be on another machine. Would an SSD speed show any significant improvements in simulation times? I've considered using the excess budget to go with a Xeon build but was informed from a colleague that unless I go with one of the beefier Xeons I wont see much more improvement in simulation times so it'd be better to use the budget elsewhere.

So I guess the tl;dr is this. Would a faster SSD be beneficial in a workstation that doesn't actually hold the project data? Would it show significant improvement in circuit simulation (ie. highly threaded mathematical computations). If so, is there a significant speed difference between this PCI-E, M.2, and SATA SSDs? Are there any that you would recommend?

Sorry if this is the wrong board for this. Since im currently considering an SSD upgrade I figured I would post here first, if there is a more relevant board please lock this thread and redirect me to the correct board and I will repost there!

Solution
Currently with the 850 EVO, and the actual data living on other drives...changing to a PCI-E drive probably wouldn't gain any real benefit.

Yes they are faster. Potentially significantly slow.
But if the data lives elsewhere...probably would not make a difference in overall performance.

USAFRet

Titan
Currently with the 850 EVO, and the actual data living on other drives...changing to a PCI-E drive probably wouldn't gain any real benefit.

Yes they are faster. Potentially significantly slow.
But if the data lives elsewhere...probably would not make a difference in overall performance.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS