ssd for windows 8.1

USAFRet

Titan

You still want larger than a 60GB. You have to factor in Windows updates, free space, and some of the programs you DO want on the SSD (AV, etc).

A 60GB will work, but you'll be managing that free space all the time, instead of enjoying the PC.
Get a 120 or larger.

i disagree ,
It all depends on how many applictaions are installed aswell as the o.s on the ssd
I only use a 60gb ssd , i have windows 7 installed and only apps i want speed to execute , every other application is installed on HDD ,
games, music, movies etc and i still have 40% free space , i have over 4TB of progs, games,movies and apps
I regularly clean windows backups out and turn off hibernate etc , it all depends on how well you manage your files and where you install them.
I never have to manage free space all the time instead of enjoying my pc :)
EDIT: all downloads are set to go to another HDD also

USAFRet

Titan

It all depends on what you have installed and how you use it.
I have a 128Gb drive, and the OS and all applications apart from games installed on it. Currently ~55GB used space.
Games, docs, music, etc all live elsewhere.

If I had only a 60GB, I'd be sweating that free space. And the current price difference between a 60 and a 120GB isn't that much. Maybe another $10-$15.

yes i hear what you are saying , everybodys needs are different , it is up to Harry Pickel
to decide just what he needs to install on the ssd to determine size
That being said here is the 120gb version
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-internal-hard-drive-mknssdcr120gb
$64.99
Read Speed: up to 550MB/sec
Write Speed: up to 515MB/sec
much faster read/write speeds for a few extra $
EDIT : he did say he only wanted to spend $50 so that is what i achieved