Question SSD format for new windows install

Jul 8, 2019
Hi i have samsung 850evo that was used as external usb drive. Now i want to use it as main drive for my laptop, but when i put it in its not recognized. How do i format it for use ?

Jul 8, 2019
Welcome to the forums!

What's your laptop make model and specs?

Also is the drive a SATA or M.2 form factor?

Is the drive not recognized in Windows or in BIOS?
Laptop is Lenovo z70-80
Its sata connection
When į put drive in all į see is this screen with motherboard name and some lenovo company name and pc it restarts 5 seconds later, cant even get Into BIOS menų with f2 ir delete ir other

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Laptop is Lenovo z70-80
Its sata connection
When į put drive in all į see is this screen with motherboard name and some lenovo company name and pc it restarts 5 seconds later, cant even get Into BIOS menų with f2 ir delete ir other

I think you have to initialize the drive again and format it. That would be easily done if you have a PC with SATA porta you can conenct the SSD to before you want to put it in laptop and install Windows.

Also you might need the latest version of BIOS fo the laptop if the drive is not being recognized.

One more thing to remember is that I think many Lenovo laptops come with HDD which has 2 partitions, a C drive and D drive. They store drivers and utilities that are necessary to get the laptop going once you want to install a new Windows, or on another drive like a SSD.

You'd have to backup/copy that (USB flash drive would be useful/handy) before you take the HDD out and add a SSD and reinstall Windows so that you can install them on new Windows on SSD.

Assuming you want to install Windows 10 this is a good guide:

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,news-57579.html

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019
I think you have to initialize the drive again and format it. That would be easily done if you have a PC with SATA porta you can conenct the SSD to before you want to put it in laptop and install Windows.

Also you might need the latest version of BIOS fo the laptop if the drive is not being recognized.

One more thing to remember is that I think many Lenovo laptops come with HDD which has 2 partitions, a C drive and D drive. They store drivers and utilities that are necessary to get the laptop going once you want to install a new Windows, or on another drive like a SSD.

You'd have to backup/copy that (USB flash drive would be useful/handy) before you take the HDD out and add a SSD and reinstall Windows so that you can install them on new Windows on SSD.

Assuming you want to install Windows 10 this is a good guide:

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,news-57579.html
tnx for help, found other way.
i cloned C disk with windows using samsung clone program, and started windows, then just regular windows install from that.