SSD formats itself on shutdown

Tyler159

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
Hi, i have an OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD, now before you say RMA it i cant, the company has been liquidated and i would have to pay double the price to get another one of these, all advice would be appreciated, the drive runs perfectly, don't see any apparent issues but it formats itself completely when i shut down and then i have to reinstall windows always, what could this be?

Ralston18

Titan
1) Are you sure that the SSD is truly "formatting itself" or are you just getting some error that the drive is "unformatted"?

2) Where did you get the Windows OS you are using? What version?

3) Can you install or otherwise test some other known working SSD or even HDD? Or try the OCZ in another computer?

4) Before shutting down, run the applicable drive diagnostic software if any. See what the results may be.

Pretty good chance that the company and/or vendors just rushed to market any product that came off of the manufacturing lines sans testing etc.. Could simply be a defective drive in some manner even though it seems to run perfectly. Once power is gone.... that is it is for the drive.

Tyler159

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

ok so when i shut down the pc then the OS is gone and so is all my data, i have to reinstall windows 10 pro, thats my OS and i have tried in a different pc, still does the same thing, the SSD is about 4 years old now but this is really strange to me, never seen this before

Tyler159

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

everything is perfect when i do a reboot, all my data stays and so does OS, only when pc is shut down

DR_Luke

Honorable
Dec 1, 2016

Then, it is likely an issue with the NAND no longer being able to hard a charge, for lack of better terms. I don't think there is any way to correct this, so it is probably best to replace it.

Tyler159

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

that makes sense, but will leave it open to more suggestions just to see, never know, wont be able to replace it for a couple of months, thanks bud

TRENDING THREADS