Question SSD freezes and needs shutdown

May 1, 2022
Hi !
I recently installed a second SSD ( Kingston NV1 M.2 2280 NVMe SSD 1TB) in my laptop to expand storage capabilities. BUT, when using programs installed on that SSD, it sometimes crashes and needs shutdown of the whole system for it to work again. Otherwise, the sysetm runs fine. When it crashes, the Peripheral manager still finds it and says it runs as expected. "Diskpart" command does not find it.

The problem does not appear with every software (yet), for example League of legend runs well. Virtual Machine (with virtualbox running on the primary SSD) and the Vivado tool from Xilinx (heavy software) do cause crashes.

Rebooting the computer does NOT solves the problem. I need to shut it down and power it up.

Running CristalDiskInfo or Kingston's SSD manager does not show any error messages (when the disk has not crashed, otherwise they don't find it)
All the solutions I went through on the internet involved BIOS settings which are already checked on my computer...
The drivers seems to be up to date using this tool : https://www.touslesdrivers.com/

Do you have any idea how to troubleshoot/fix this ? o_O

my laptop :
Lenovo Ideapad 5 14rARE05
AMD Ryzen7 4700U
16G of RAM
512G original SSD
running Windows 10

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please don't use third party sites/apps to tell you if you've got drivers pending updates. Did you make sure to update your laptop's BIOS prior to dropping in the Kingston SSD? Which slot did you use for said SSD upgrade?

running Windows 10
What version of Windows 10 are you working with?

As for the rams, did you get the rams like that from the factory? Lastly, where are you sourcing your installers from?

May 1, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please don't use third party sites/apps to tell you if you've got drivers pending updates. Did you make sure to update your laptop's BIOS prior to dropping in the Kingston SSD? Which slot did you use for said SSD upgrade?

running Windows 10
What version of Windows 10 are you working with?

As for the rams, did you get the rams like that from the factory? Lastly, where are you sourcing your installers from?

The BIOS was and still is up to date

Windows 10 is Family edition (came with the laptop)

There are two slots for SSDs (2242 and 2280) on this laptop so I just used the available one (the 2280)

RAM is from factory. It is soldered RAM.

For the installers, I am not sure which one you are refering to, software installed on the SSD come from the developper's websites

May 1, 2022
UPDATE : It seems to be a power problem. The problem occurs much more when the computer runs on the battery. Maybe the motherboard cannot take sufficient power from the battery/dc supply for the SSD to run properly...