SSD freezing computer

Oct 11, 2018
I have a recently built system that i added a new SSD (Samsung 840EVO 120GB) into. After installing windows onto it, it proceeded to boot up and after 20minutes or so, it froze my whole pc and i had to restart. After rebooting the pc, i pulled up task manager and saw that my SSD had 100% Active time and 0 disk transfer rate constantly, and then it continued to shut down after 20minutes of usage repeatedly. Is it a issue with the SSD i have? or is it a software issue.

I run a Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 mobo and a ryzen 5 cpu.*

Oct 11, 2018

I have run samsung magician and it states that the drive condition is good and that the firmware version is an Old Ver.
Performance benchmark wise, i am unable to give any information as i reformatted it, but the last time i ran it everything seemed fine.

UPDATE: I managed to run the performance benchmarks and the results seemed fine to me.

Sequential (Read:550 Write:528)
Random (Read:66650 Write:59814)

Oct 11, 2018

The drive is currently not in use now as my OS is running off my harddrive. I have tested out the SSD with samsung magician's performance benchmarks. The result is as follows,

Sequential (Read:550 Write:528)
Random (Read:66650 Write:59814

Oct 11, 2018

It said "The status of the solid state disk is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found.
The TRIM feature of the SSD is supported and enabled for optimal performance."
Both performance and health sectors was at 100%

I'd agree with Peter, def not the SSD
Have you tried booting into Windows Safe Mode and see if it freezes?
If it doesn't then it's probably some software causing it ... malware? (use zhpcleaner)
Otherwise if it is, then it is more than likely hardware, but this can be checked if you reinstalled Windows again (which is last resort)

Oct 11, 2018

The windows was installed on the wiped drive so there shldnt be any problems with that. As for the sata controllers, i have no idea how to update them. Any advice on how?

Oct 11, 2018

Thanks ill try out those options tmr, as soon as i get back from work. Hopefully i wont have to reinstall windows again.

Oct 11, 2018

Okay thank you very much, ill be sure to update you on the statues of it after installing the drivers.