SSD freezing constantly

stryfe_81

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
Hi. Got a new SSD, WD Blue 250GB, and it constantly freezes my entire pc when transferring files to it through either download or just moving files to it from elsewhere on the PC. The freezes are seemingly random. I was able to transfer Final Fantasy 14 to it through an external hard drive when it had failed numerous times before through downloading and through moving it from my HDD. I've tried moving numerous other large files and they have all frozen at one point or another.

When the freeze happens the transfer speed usually drops to 0 (sometimes it doesn't even register that and it just stops) and everything on the PC becomes unresponsive, including task manager. This forces a hard shutdown and restart using the power switch.

I've tried updating SATA drivers using https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility- and I saw a post recommending swapping from AHCI to IDE temporarily to see if that solved the issue. Neither of these things helped. The temperatures are nominal, at its highest it was around 40C.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.