Question SSD gets slow after a couple of seconds

Jun 30, 2019
Hello World!

I got one of these ADATA SU655 SSD drives a couple of months ago. Since then, I went through a broken MBR twice after seeing this "No bootable medium found" out of the blue! First time It wasn't beyond the realm of possibility to fix it up and I ended up reinstalling the windows! Second time I couldn't repair the bootloader, again. I booted into some recovery suites (paragon, minitool...) to backup data on my C drive, and saw a new problem had came up! The data transfer speed slowed down to a few KB/s after a couple of seconds copying got started. I reinstalled the Windows on my old HDD, booted into it and did some tests using SSD speed test utilities that approved the previous findings :-( (I will share the results when I arrive home).

I did a few searches striving to find what's exactly going on here; replaced the SDD's SATA and power cables, switched the SATA ports, updated the bios (ASUS P8Z77V LX)... didn't work out. Now here is the peculiar thing; everything's been ok since 2 hours ago I connected the SSD to a friend's PC! And the old HDD works like a charm on my own PC.

Also, the previous MSI B75A-G43 mainboard was replaced two months ago with the current ASUS P8Z77V LX as an workaround to some BSOD's I went through from time to time (I had tried to fix it up by replacing RAM and PSU, before). It wasn't until then that I realized I mistakenly had connected PCIe 6+2 pin connector to the EATX 12V port on MSI mainboard :-(

Any help, guess or comment would be appreciated. What's been happening to these poor parts? :-(

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019
The SSD's speed test result on friend's PC:

If the SSD works in another computer, the SSD is good, as you've likely already guessed...

If you've swapped SATA cables, and SATA ports, that leaves your mainboard....assuming chipset drivers are /were installed correctly...

(I just replaced a failed Adata drive two days ago as well; I'd suspect less failures per hundred units with Corsair, Samsung, WD, Intel, HP...

Jun 30, 2019
If the SSD works in another computer, the SSD is good, as you've likely already guessed...

If you've swapped SATA cables, and SATA ports, that leaves your mainboard....assuming chipset drivers are /were installed correctly...

(I just replaced a failed Adata drive two days ago as well; I'd suspect less failures per hundred units with Corsair, Samsung, WD, Intel, HP...

So why on earth the drive works flawlessly on linux? Search me. (Intel's drivers were already installed when the drive decied to start causing problems!)

AIUI, any data that you write to the target SSD from the /dev/zero/ device will be "infinitely" compressible. Perhaps you should repeat your Linux test using incompressible data, eg a 10GiB folder containing JPEGs.

If your subsequent Linux tests now show a reduced transfer rate, I would examine the temperature attribute in the SMART report. If the temperature is excessive, then the drive could be throttling.