Ssd, hard rive, optical drive not responding

Devon_7

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
Yesterday I built a new pc. Everything on the build is fine (Cpu, Gpu, fans), however the ssd, hard drive, and cd/DVD writer aren't getting power. Idk how this makes sense because all my other components are receiving power. I know for a fact that the DVD writer isn't receiving power because when I boot my pc, the LED won't turn on also it is unresponsive when I press the eject button. Please help, I need this to work in order to install Windows 10. I want to believe that it is something to do with the SATA cables or the power supply (EVGA 650w G2 80+ Gold). Any sort of help would be appreciated.

Djl726

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
Id go with wymoming on this,Ive done this a few times myself. make sure you have both the SATA and Power cables in, also make sure you have the power cables pushed into the PSU if its modulator.

You know, this being the Christmas season I read that as "the Santa from the mob" and thought that the jolly old elf had gone into the extortion racket.

However, this is odd if you did indeed connect the power cables. No ideas spring to mind; this is one of those cases where if it were a neighbor I'd just re-seat the cables. But all three sata devices makes it less likely that this is an issue. Did you use the older Molex power connectors, the SATA power connectors, or both (hint: never do both).

Devon_7

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
Yeah sorry haha, I'm currently using my phone, so autocorrect is crazy. Thank you for the fast help btw... As for the connectors, I am only using the Sata connectors.

All three drives dying seems unlikely. I might grab a spare drive (with nothing on it that I need) and plug it in to the same spot to see if the cable is really producing power, or try the optical drive in another machine.... Three dying at once is either a massive coincidence or the result of your power supply pumping 50 volts (random number, not serious) into them and frying them.