[SOLVED] SSD Has Crazy High TBW In 4 Months

May 27, 2020
What Could Have Caused My SSD To Have 25.4 Terabytes Written In Just 4 Months?
Someone else started a thread on this in the past (danny009 - Apr. 11, 2019), but in his case, he was talking about 9.5 TBW in 547 days (+1 & 1/2 years), and responders said that his figure was normal. But 25.4 TBW in just 4 months is not normal or anywhere near average. I'd really like to find out the cause. (Samsung customer service was no help at all -- that was just sad, how little they knew about SSDs). I've barely got a clue about the cause of this, but maybe with someone's help here, I'll find out.

Solution
I'd sort it by Write under Disk Activity and let it run for a while and see what's tallying up 200GB of writes per day for you. Might help narrow down a cause, anyway. There are other logging/monitoring programs or options you could use as well.
What Could Have Caused My SSD To Have 25.4 Terabytes Written In Just 4 Months?
Someone else started a thread on this in the past (danny009 - Apr. 11, 2019), but in his case, he was talking about 9.5 TBW in 547 days (+1 & 1/2 years), and responders said that his figure was normal. But 25.4 TBW in just 4 months is not normal or anywhere near average. I'd really like to find out the cause. (Samsung customer service was no help at all -- that was just sad, how little they knew about SSDs). I've barely got a clue about the cause of this, but maybe with someone's help here, I'll find out.
Well, it sure wasn't disk itself writing, must be something from OS. Maybe some malware or some automatic backup, maybe even de-fragmentation running,

May 27, 2020
My purpose is to try to find out what is causing that unusually high amount of data writing to the SSD. I am not a computer whiz. I don't know if the cause is something entirely outside of my own activities on the computer or if it is some bad practice of mine, or maybe a combination of the two. In the short 4 months that I've had the SSD (which is my main drive, and the only drive in use), I have downloaded a lot of music creation software (what are called VST plugins, many of which have recordings of musical instruments in various file formats).
I took a new 250GB SSD (actual capacity : 231GB) and copied the contents of my old hard drive onto it (about 73GB), and then proceeded to load on another 113GB in a few months (= free space : 46GB = damn, I should have bought the 500GB model).
But I have no idea if this music creation software is known to do a lot of data writing to a storage drive.
I'm wondering about a 'bad' practice of mine and how bad it is, that being leaving the computer for the night with the web browser left open, combined with me usually having 30 or 40 tabs in the web browser open.
I knew the computer was going into some sort of power saving mode after 30 minutes of inactivity, so I didn't think it was such a bad practice.
But then I read an article on Windows Sleep mode, Hybrid Sleep mode, and Hibernate mode. From the article :
Hybrid Sleep mode is a combination of the Sleep and Hibernate modes meant for desktop computers. It puts any open documents and applications in memory and on your hard disk, and then puts your computer into a low-power state.
The Hybrid Sleep mode is enabled by default in Windows on desktop computers and disabled on laptops.
My computer is a desktop. It was set to go into Hybrid Sleep mode by default.
It puts any open documents and applications in memory and on your hard disk, before going into its low-power state.
Sleep mode puts any open documents and applications in memory, (but not on the storage drive), and then the computer goes into a low-power state.
So, I changed the setting on my computer to Sleep mode two weeks ago.
But I don't know if 30 or 40 web browser tabs worth of data being written to the storage drive every night is the culprit, because I don't know how much data that is in GB. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I'd sort it by Write under Disk Activity and let it run for a while and see what's tallying up 200GB of writes per day for you. Might help narrow down a cause, anyway. There are other logging/monitoring programs or options you could use as well.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 8, 2020
How much is your RAM? If you have too many chrome tabs open, Windows will go crazy swapping to pagefile.sys. It will be GBs on GBs over a day.