SSD + HDD +HDD...using splitter cables... will it work??

Jay_Vee

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Hello.
Machine is a HP P6610f. Only addition is a 2TB WD20EZRX I use for media streaming and media storage.

The 5 yr old OEM Seagate in my HP is crapping out and I obviously need to replace it. I want to go with an SSD for the OS because I've read that it is just plain better in every sense. So I have a 60gb OCZ Vertex II SSD coming in, which should be plenty to install the OS (WIN7 Home 64-bit) on, and maybe MS-Office and some other frequently used programs.

At the same time I also want to have another HD to use for documents/images to keep my 2TB for solely media, since it is shared over my home network- I'd prefer not to have stuff other than media shared across the network. I am hoping to put a 1TB WD EZEX drive in.

My question is this: Will my motherboard and power supply be able to handle the two drives? (250w PSU) I've found SATA power and SATA data splitter cables, and there is space for two HDDs in the case, and I can put the SSD somewhere else in there. I just want to know if actually using splitter cables like this would work...?

There are only 3 actual SATA data connectors on the motherboard- one for the cd-r/dvd-rom and two for the HDDs that the case can support.

Will the board support what I want to throw at it? The board is an Alvorix-GL8E.

I hope I supplied all the information needed... and I'm sorry if it was a long post. I just don't want to spend the money I'm about to if it will be a waste.

Thank you very much in advance.

Jay

Solution
Not recommended. Forget the SSD as the motherboard does not have the needed sata port & will only run @3Gb/s.
Do the HDD upgrade and save your money.

Jay_Vee

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

What do you mean the motherboard lacks the needed sata port? I opened it up and there are 4 sata ports on it- unless you mean that because it is sata II I would not be taking full advantage of the SSD?

Thanks for your replies and input.

Jay_Vee

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

You were right about data splitter. My mistake.

I'm not concerned with space on the SSD- that will be for the operating system and MS-Office. The other drives would take care of the rest.

Thank you for your reply and input.

Yes, I understand what your intentions are..... every build I have ever done for someone has had the same plan...... but it takes an astute windows user to manage what goes on where. I would say that 85% of the 60GB SSD builds I have done have been back on my dining room table w/ a request to "clean off the C:\drive clutter. Won't do them anymore for this reason.

Many programs install "common files" to C:\ regardless if you install the program somewhere else ..... given the minimal cost difference, I'm not saying it can't be done.... just be prepared to spend significant time and effort keeping the file count down.

GStuttman

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
I got a new PC about a year ago with a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. I had to start directing programs to the HDD as I ran out of space on the SSD drive. I am now planning on getting a 240 or 256 SSD and adding it to the system as the C: drive with the 120GB SSD becoming the D: data drive for Office. Everthing else will move up 1 drive letter.

TRENDING THREADS