SSD & HDD multiple Hard Drives

Dave824

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Hello all,

I have a new build I am working on and I am trying to determine the best way to set up my hard drives. I have never used more than one HDD until now. I have an SSD that I would like to use as my boot drive. My current drive has all my files and programs on it. Do I have to wipe my HDD for use as secondary drive? I did a clean install of Windows 7 64x on my SSD and I it also has my games on it. I also has windows 7 64x installed on it.
The files and programs on the HDD (that is now connected to my computer as the secondary drive) no longer work. Some will work when I create a short cut to the desktop but seems most wont.
Windows media player will not let me find my music or videos. I do not want to keep these files on my SSD as there will be limited room. I want to be able to run them from the HDD.
I do have another 1 TB HDD that has pretty much all the same stuff on it as I cloned it to my 1 TB WD HDD about 2 weeks ago.
What is it that I have to do to achieve my goal here?

Setup:
I7 920
Asus Rampage III Formula
Windows 7 64 bit
EVGA GTX 670 FTW
Corsair Force Series SSD 240 GB SATA 3 (running in AHCI)
WD1002FAEX 1TB SATA 3 HDD (running in AHCI)

fantastik250

Distinguished
In this situation with your SSD and HDD combination. Any secondary drives, with possibly your old windows files and programs. The programs will not work because of registry key's and such. It was with the original OS where your registry keys are installed (in your HDD not SSD). Only files such as word documents, excel sheets, mp3 files and etc will be able to be used or transferred. Not programs such as office 2007, Steam, or firefox and etc.. If you want your programs to work you need to re-install those programs. If you don't want those programs in your SSD, you can make them go into the HDD. Most programs have a custom path installation and you just point the program where to install.

TRENDING THREADS