SSD + HDD or SSHD ?

ironman33155

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
I'm building a PC for gaming so should i get a 4tb SSHD(WD Blue) or 128GB SSD + 3tb HDD(WD Black). And also Im getting a surveillance Hard Disk(Seagate surveillance) for really cheap price. So which one should I get ?

Solution
Surveillance drives are generally much like the green drives, which are power saving. They usually don't spin up unless needed in order to save power, which means they have a lot more latency (Lag) than other drives generally do. If it's a drive you'll be using just to back things up, then it's fine. For game files or the operating system itself, you'd never want to use something like that.

Are you buying this drive new or used?
SSHD sucks. The only part of them that's SSD is the cache. Get a 240-250GB SSD and then the biggest Seagate or WD hard drive you can get after that. There is really no advantage to the Black drives over the Blue or the budget Seagate drives. There is no data at all to support the extra investment in a black drive paying off over the long term. They have just as many failures and are just as susceptible to shock or sector damage. This would be a good option.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $145.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-02 02:16 EDT-0400

ironman33155

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016

I'm actually getting the seagate surveillance hdd 4tb for $70. Is it a good option ? Will it be really slow compared to the WD Black ? If yes, will it effect the fps on my game ?

Surveillance drives are generally much like the green drives, which are power saving. They usually don't spin up unless needed in order to save power, which means they have a lot more latency (Lag) than other drives generally do. If it's a drive you'll be using just to back things up, then it's fine. For game files or the operating system itself, you'd never want to use something like that.

Are you buying this drive new or used?

Solution

ironman33155

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016

Thank You!! That really helped. I was gonna buy that from a friend of mine who purchased 6 of them. He used 4 and had 2 extra. He was willing to sell me really cheap. They're not even open. Still sealed. I'll be getting an SSD 124GB( I don't really need that much space on SSD because I won't be putting much files on it). And a 4tb HDD( I need a lot of space for games, video projects, photos...).
Thank you!