[SOLVED] SSD/HDD set up

Apr 2, 2020
Hi all,

Just wondering how I should go about this. I'm currently running windows 7 on my HDD. However I want to upgrade to Windows 10 and also move my OS to an SSD.

When I install windows 10 onto my ssd, will I need to install it on my HDD?
Also how should I go about this?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Installing win10 or upgrading win7 to 10?
Do you have the means to make a backup or do you not care about what is on the HDD?

** The 'Cliff Notes' version: **
1: Backup the HDD - backup anything you wish to save from the HDD. Write down Account names, Passwords Activation keys, favorite websites

2A: Actually Installing W10 to the SSD
- this you will do that with the HDD disconnected. When done & drivers are loaded and W10 is updated, you can attach the HDD, and either format it and copy in your backed up items or simply delete the folders you no longer need.

2B: Updating W7 to W10 -
- Clone W7 to the SSD, swap the SSD inplace of the HDD and set the HDD aside. Boot up with only the SSD and update to W10 on it; Motherboard drivers...

popatim

Titan
Installing win10 or upgrading win7 to 10?
Do you have the means to make a backup or do you not care about what is on the HDD?

** The 'Cliff Notes' version: **
1: Backup the HDD - backup anything you wish to save from the HDD. Write down Account names, Passwords Activation keys, favorite websites

2A: Actually Installing W10 to the SSD
- this you will do that with the HDD disconnected. When done & drivers are loaded and W10 is updated, you can attach the HDD, and either format it and copy in your backed up items or simply delete the folders you no longer need.

2B: Updating W7 to W10 -
- Clone W7 to the SSD, swap the SSD inplace of the HDD and set the HDD aside. Boot up with only the SSD and update to W10 on it; Motherboard drivers and Updates.

Note: W10 will delete incompatible programs, often without notifying you which ones they are. W10 will load MS drivers typically so be sure to load your latest motherbd drivers when it's done.

3: Power off and install your HDD. you can either Wipe/format it, chose to let things remain as is, or delete folders you no longer need, Remember to copy in those items you saved in step 1, they aren't considered a backup until they become a 2nd copy again.

Solution
Apr 2, 2020
Sorry I was so vague, I am buying a new win10 license and am hoping to retain my old information on my hdd. My old license was a pirated version that was on the pc before it was mine.

Also I realised I left out the fact that I would like to run my OS and some files on my SSD and keep the remaining fluff/previous work on my HDD.

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry I was so vague, I am buying a new win10 license and am hoping to retain my old information on my hdd. My old license was a pirated version that was on the pc before it was mine.

Also I realised I left out the fact that I would like to run my OS and some files on my SSD and keep the remaining fluff/previous work on my HDD.
Any applications from the previous install are null and void.
They WILL need to be reinstalled with the new OS. And you absolutely need to do a full wipe and reinstall on the SSD.

If there are any personal files on the SSD that you wish to keep, copy those elsewhere first.
Similar with the HDD. Copy ALL personal files, not applications, you wish to keep.

Then, a clean install on the SSD.

Later, reconnect the HDD and also wipe that clean.