Feb 15, 2019
okay, so a while back I heard Intel was using SSD drives, then "spanning" them within HDD, so you can get the speed of the SSD drive, but the storage of the HDD. Essentially, the SSD would serve as a huge cachet for the much larger and slower HDD.:geek:

How do I do this, though? do I need to use the Intel controller (AHCI/RAID) software? Or, will Windows this management do this for me?:unsure:

Solution
You're probably thinking of Optane but there are other options for this. There's a difference between caching and tiering. Caching would be for incoming data to go to the SSD first, while tiering (which is what you have with SSHDs and the like) puts most-accessed data on the SSD whilst using the HDD for cold storage. I do both of these; Windows 10 has Storage Spaces built in which allows for tiering (although it also caches a small amount, which can be varied via PowerShell), I use DrivePool on my server with SSD caching. Etc. Intel's RST can do similar, there's StoreMI (AMD) and FuzeDrive, Primocache, etc. Optane for its part is a BIOS option.
You're probably thinking of Optane but there are other options for this. There's a difference between caching and tiering. Caching would be for incoming data to go to the SSD first, while tiering (which is what you have with SSHDs and the like) puts most-accessed data on the SSD whilst using the HDD for cold storage. I do both of these; Windows 10 has Storage Spaces built in which allows for tiering (although it also caches a small amount, which can be varied via PowerShell), I use DrivePool on my server with SSD caching. Etc. Intel's RST can do similar, there's StoreMI (AMD) and FuzeDrive, Primocache, etc. Optane for its part is a BIOS option.

Reactions: boneless3vil
Solution