[SOLVED] SSD + HDD vs M.2 vs Optane

Dec 21, 2019
I currently have a 250gb Sata 3 SDD running Windows and a 1TB HDD for storage.

Would upgrading to a 3000mb/s M.2 Drive give me any advantages over my current setup? Or, would adding a 16gb Intel Optane drive be useful?

I have read conflicting threads on this. From my basic understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, adding Intel Optane would provide little to no boost to a Sata SSD. How about switching to M.2? Or am I better just sticking with what I have.

Thanks!

Solution
I used to run a system with an i7 4790K and a SanDisk Extreme II 250GB SATA3 SSD system disk with Win 10.

I then upgraded to an i9 9900K and a m.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe 500Gb Win 10 drive.

During everyday use, honestly I rarely notice any performance gains, and considering the price, I was equally satisfied with the SATA3 SSD. I did benchmark both my NVMe drives, and they perform as advertised.

I'm very happy with the 970 Evo Plus, I certainly do not regret buying it, I'm just saying that a fast SATA3 SSD for the OS musn't be underestimated, and the performance gains aren't as amazing as one could hope for.
I used to run a system with an i7 4790K and a SanDisk Extreme II 250GB SATA3 SSD system disk with Win 10.

I then upgraded to an i9 9900K and a m.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe 500Gb Win 10 drive.

During everyday use, honestly I rarely notice any performance gains, and considering the price, I was equally satisfied with the SATA3 SSD. I did benchmark both my NVMe drives, and they perform as advertised.

I'm very happy with the 970 Evo Plus, I certainly do not regret buying it, I'm just saying that a fast SATA3 SSD for the OS musn't be underestimated, and the performance gains aren't as amazing as one could hope for.

Reactions: Nathan-08
Solution