SSD + HDD VS single SSD

eXtremeBuilds

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
I am about to buy a pc with a 6700k and a 1080. I wanted to know of for the storage i should go for one single 480gb kingston ssd or a 240gb ssd (for windows, some games etc.) + a 1tb 7200rpm hdd. Note that i will use it as a NAS. (Games movies pics etc no big recordings of gameplay)

Solution
You will you a 6700k with a 1080 as a nas, really? If you are indeed using it as a NAS (which is a complete waste of money or you don't exactly understand what NAS is) you would need a thumb drive for the NAS operating system and as many hdd as possible.

Now if by NAS you mean that you will use the system for gaming/work/everyday and then stream some movie from to another medium, then you have to go with the smaller ssd and the 1tb drive. Since depending your needs 500gb of storage can go way to fast these days around.

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
You will you a 6700k with a 1080 as a nas, really? If you are indeed using it as a NAS (which is a complete waste of money or you don't exactly understand what NAS is) you would need a thumb drive for the NAS operating system and as many hdd as possible.

Now if by NAS you mean that you will use the system for gaming/work/everyday and then stream some movie from to another medium, then you have to go with the smaller ssd and the 1tb drive. Since depending your needs 500gb of storage can go way to fast these days around.

Solution

eXtremeBuilds

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

SSD Boot time = 15.6 seconds
7200 rpm enthusiast HD Boot Time = 21.2 seconds
SSD Boot time = 16.5 seconds

Those were recorded on our test box which has (2) SSDs, (2) SSHDs and a HD. System had fresh install of OS installed on the three different storage devices and which one was booted was determined by BIOS selection of boot device. With games AAA titles going from 40 to 95 GB these days, SSD storage of games is not feasible for most budgets.

My recommendation would be the smaller 240 GB SSD SSD with a 2 TB 73200 rpm SSHD.

That being said, the advantages of each in its role as an NAS will be gimped by network speed which since you described it as an NAS, it's not the speed of the storage device which will determine loading speed, but the ability of the data to travel over the network.

NAS however is not really the correct term if I am understanding your planned usage. For example, the box I am typing from a CAD Workstation in my Home Office. It also serves as:

a) CAD Workstation make great gaming boxes as GTX cards lead the pack in both usages.
b) Office network storage. All the office boxes have their files stored on this PC
c) Home network storage. All the home boxes do their data backups to this PC
d) Media Server. All movies, music etc is stored on this PC for both office and home users.

Basically ... an NAS is a storage only device with no ability to do anything itself with the files stored upon it. In essence, your Gaming PC is also serving as a Data Server.

I would suggest:

SSD to boot your OS and Programs
SSHD to store your Games, Data
Eventually a 2nd SSD to store backups of the other 2 in case one goes south.