SSD & HDD vs SSHD vs Large HDD

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
So I had four options for storage in my new budget gaming build. Here is what I have (and can afford)

-240 gb SSD
-500 gb SSHD
-120 gb SSD & 500 gb HDD
-1 tb HDD

Which is the best combo considering my primary pc use?

Solution

If your storage budget reaches to only one of those choices...then the 1TB HDD.
Add a 250GB SSD later.

The SSD and the HD will give you the most flexibility and speed. You could install the OS and 1 game game to the SSD at a time. Then copy the folder to the HD when not playing it. This way your games run and load off the SSD and you don't have to uninstall them when you switch which game you are playing.

The single larger HD would also be tempting because it would be less fussy. You just install stuff on it and accept a lower performance for the simplicity of that.

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
Hello bjornl,

Thanks for the opinion. I will wait for a view more votes in case, but just to be clear, all of these options I found within ten dollars, so price doesn’t matter. Plus, moving games throughout drives just seems to be a minor burden in the end when you put it like that.

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
Solarasreign

How much would one cost?

UPDATE: Looks like the cheaper ones are 70 dollars. I can’t fit it in this time around, but I will be investing in one for a “mid-tier” build (like an i5 with a gtx 1060/1050 Ti) in the future. For now, this is only my first build, so I wanted to play it a bit safe in terms of cash.

solarasreign

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017

That honestly depends on the brand and size. I'm currently using the Samsung 960 EVO 250GB and it goes for 130 on Amazon. I lucked out by getting it for 99 bucks cause it was an opened box.

solarasreign

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017

In that case just focus on a large HDD 7200rpm and a 250GB SSD to boot your OS from since you're on a tight budget.

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
USAFRet

1. My current budget is 600, although many parts have already been purchased by the time you are reading this.

2. Some of the components include
Pentium G4560
GeForce GTX 1050 (not the Ti)
2x4 gb ddr4-2400 ram
BIOSTAR b250gt5 motherboard

USAFRet

Titan

If your storage budget reaches to only one of those choices...then the 1TB HDD.
Add a 250GB SSD later.

Solution

boggen

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
for amount of space, i would go with most hard drive space you can get. meaning 1tb and up. the pc will take longer to start up, and initially open up applications but once they are open and running, they should be fine. larger games might be an issue going to say different levels or like, as new stuff is pulled form hard drive.

with that said, i love my SSD as OS drive, and then my larger HHD drives. but i opted for a 1tb SSD. so i have some play room, without constantly looking to see if i filled up the SSD. 512GB SSD might even work. it has taken some time just to get to 648gb on the 1 TB SSD i have now.