Question SSD/HDDs Aren't Recognized by BIOS - Gigabyte X570 UD/Ryzen 9 3900X

Apr 11, 2020
Hello there. My fiance and I have been building her new PC and got everything plugged in nicely and neatly but we have run into an issue where the SSD and the HDDs will not show up in the BIOS boot devices nor will Windows install detect them.

The motherboard in question is the Gigabyte X570 UD while the SSD is a WD Blue 250gb and the HDDs are a 3TB and 6TB WD Black respectively. We have tested it in a number of different configurations with either all drives connected, the SSD by itself, the HDDs by themselves or a single HDD. None will detect in any of the SATA slots. The DVD drive however will when it is connected using any of the SATA cables and in any of the slots.

We've tried different settings in the BIOS but to be frank, I am not used to the new Gigabyte BIOS menu and find it a bit lacking. We've made sure that everything has power and is connected properly. We tried updating the BIOS to the latest version F12e then tried rolling it back to F11 as suggested. Still nothing.

At this point I am not certain if the drives died somehow or there's some setting we're missing. I have no idea if the motherboard itself could be the problem but right now I'm leaning towards either bad SATA ports or some weird issue with the SSD/HDDs. I should add that the SSD and the 3TB HDD were in use prior to this but the 6TB is brand new. Any help here would be great!

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 core
Gigabyte x570 UD (BIOS revision F11)
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2x 16gb @3200
WD Blue 250gb SSD / WD Black 3TB & 6TB HDDs
MSI RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB
Corsair HX1000i PSU

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
You didn't try the old cables first I hope, it can kill HDD's
is anything on these drives already? you weren't clear but I suspect that Windows is already on one or both of these drives.

In the bios:
Are the Sata ports in AHCI mode in the Bios?
Is CSM enabled
& Secure boot disabled?

Apr 11, 2020
You didn't try the old cables first I hope, it can kill HDD's
is anything on these drives already? you weren't clear but I suspect that Windows is already on one or both of these drives.

In the bios:
Are the Sata ports in AHCI mode in the Bios?
Is CSM enabled
& Secure boot disabled?
Yes there is Win 10 installed on the SSD. Not on either HDD. One of the HDDs is brand new and no we did not use the old cables at all.

The sata ports are in AHCI mode. CSM is enabled. I believe secure boot was disabled. Everything was on default.

Apr 11, 2020
Your bios is probably detecting the old OS and blocking the drives. UEFI is more secure the the old bios.

Make the bios changes and see if that fixes the issue.
Also check if you motherboard can be set to UEFI+Legacy Bios mode as well.
Fairly certain we tried that. I'm somewhat convinced about the old OS and all that though we don't have access to another system to wipe the drives on. Even when attempting to boot from USB flash drive to reinstall Windows it will not detect the drives. Also this was tested with just the new HDD as well and still would not detect.

Apr 11, 2020
No. The only thing that showed up in the BIOS was the USB flash drive we were going to use to install Windows.

I don't think we know anyone with one of those unfortunately.