[SOLVED] SSD health drops at 24days only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaraki Zenken Besin

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
I bought this SSD last month and its damn brandnew when i bought it.

when i tried to see its health using hdd sentinel it got lowered :(

Kox2WBt.png

would it even last a year or 2? 240gb was not cheap at all :(

it is my first time using and SSD and I already experienced a bad one.

Is it possible to fix it to 100%?

Solution
It clearly says #231 wear indicator so that is why its at 98%
You can check the SMART yourself with HDS.
Anyway, it will last a long time

SSD Health

Memory cells in solid state devices (generally flash storage) can tolerate only limited number of overwrite passes, so experience "wear" during normal use.

The "wear-leveling" feature of the SSD tries to hide/minimise this effect but generally it can't be eliminated. Usually the SSD device maintains an overall health of the memory cells and provides this information by various attributes.

If no problems found, Hard Disk Sentinel reads such attribute(s) to determine the complete health of the solid state device and displays in the text description: The health is...

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
I doubt it means anything. I don't know how Sentinel gets that value, but maybe the health of that particular model of drive drops to 98% after a week and then stays at that level for a year.

Also if you just reinstalled Windows on the drive or cloned or something, it probably got a good initialization kick and from now on the wear will be a lot lower.

I mean it says it's excellent so... Why worry.

For the record, I downloaded Sentinel since I was curious, and my about ~4-years old Samsung 840 EVO sits at 74%.

I mean maybe look back at it in another month and if it drops too much maybe you can look into it deeper.

USAFRet

Titan
There is nothing in that "report" that indicates early death.

Status = PERFECT
Performance = Excellent
Health = Excellent
Lifetime writes = 1.31TB. That is trivial, and completely due to it being new, and you loading it up with new stuff. That rate will flatten out in the next few weeks.

It clearly says #231 wear indicator so that is why its at 98%
You can check the SMART yourself with HDS.
Anyway, it will last a long time

SSD Health

Memory cells in solid state devices (generally flash storage) can tolerate only limited number of overwrite passes, so experience "wear" during normal use.

The "wear-leveling" feature of the SSD tries to hide/minimise this effect but generally it can't be eliminated. Usually the SSD device maintains an overall health of the memory cells and provides this information by various attributes.

If no problems found, Hard Disk Sentinel reads such attribute(s) to determine the complete health of the solid state device and displays in the text description: The health is determined by SSD specific S.M.A.R.T. attribute(s):

Such attributes can be #177 Wear Leveling Count, #231 SSD Life Left, #233 Media Wearout Indicator, Percentage Used, Remaining Drive Life or similar. On the S.M.A.R.T. page, it is possible to examine the current value and also change with time.

Such values (and thus the health) is calculated by the SSD, independently from any software, based on the actual usage: amount of written data, power on time and so. To keep the health high, try to minimise the amount of data written to your SSD.

Solution
its the temperature... it reach like 40c+ and reduce health to 2%
It has absolutely nothing to do with heat, and that's a perfectly normal temperature for an SSD.

That health indicator is measuring available writes remaining. SSDs can only write to each sector of the drive a certain number of times, and that indicator is telling you how many writes remain. According to that drive's spec sheet, it looks like it is rated to handle 80TB of writes over the life of the drive. Your drive has had 1.31 TB written to it, and 1.31/80 = 1.61%. So, your drive has 98.39% of its writes remaining (rounded to 98%), as of the time that test was performed.

Lifetime writes = 1.31TB. That is trivial, and completely due to it being new, and you loading it up with new stuff. That rate will flatten out in the next few weeks.
I wouldn't necessarily say its trivial. It's a 240GB drive that has been completely overwritten 5.5 times within 4 weeks. That's an average of about 50TB being written to it every day, which seems abnormally high for a drive of that capacity. If writes were to continue at that rate, the drive would reach its TBW rating in about 4 years.

Since it has been more than 10 days since you ran that test, run it again and let us know what that "Lifetime Writes" number is at now (that was at 1.31TB before). That way, we can see whether writes are still being performed at the same rate, or if they have dropped off.

USAFRet

Titan
I wouldn't necessarily say its trivial. It's a 240GB drive that has been completely overwritten 5.5 times within 4 weeks. That's an average of about 50TB being written to it every day, which seems abnormally high for a drive of that capacity. If writes were to continue at that rate, the drive would reach its TBW rating in about 4 years.

Since it has been more than 10 days since you ran that test, run it again and let us know what that "Lifetime Writes" number is at now (that was at 1.31TB before). That way, we can see whether writes are still being performed at the same rate, or if they have dropped off.
I said 'trivial', because it is a brand new drive. One month old.
The write cycle curve is quite steep at the beginning, and then levels out.

I've seen people freak out at the 48 hour point, and extrapolating that usage out. Assuming the drive will die in a couple of months.

1.3TB in the first month of use is completely within normal usage. If it continues at that rate...then there is an issue.
But the only way to know is to monitor over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.