[SOLVED] SSD Health status BAD 1% (Help please)

TitanCandy

Commendable
Mar 9, 2020
Hi there,
First time poster, long time lurker... Lately i've been having varying boot speeds booting off my SSD (Kingston SV300 240GB) and i've always been an avid user of 'CrystalDiskInfo' and up until today ive seen nothing but 100% across all 2 of my SSDs and my 1 HDD, but today after running a Disk cleanup and Defraging all my drives i checked 'CrystalDiskInfo' and now my SSD(windows boot drive) is reading 'BAD 1%'on the health status and my other SSD(strictly games) is showing 'Unknown', i have never ran into a problem like this and i am stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance,
David

PC SPECS -
Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 1070
MotherBoard - Z97 GAMING 5 (MS-7917)
RAM - Corsair Vengence 4GB x4 1600mhz DDR3
PSU - Corsair CX600M
Storage -
Kingston SV300 240gb SSD
WD Black 1TB HDD
Kingston SA400 240gb SSD

Solution
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is...
Regular Hard Disk Drives use what's called a "platter" inside of the HDD. The platter is a circular magenetic disk that contains information on "tracks" which are circular (and go around the platter). By defragging a HDD, you put the information in a relatively "straight" line/same area on the platter. If a HDD is heavily "fragged" all that information (OS, program files, etc) would be in random places on the tracks and on the platter, slowing the loading process as the head reader in the HDD has to "travel" further than if the system was de-fragged.

By design, SSD's install information in a "fragmented" way. However, each nand cell can be read/written to, so even though the information is "fragmented", it will still read much faster than a HDD. For this reason you should not "defrag" a SSD. It is meant to be fragmented. Forcing an SSD to defrag would make it continuously read/write and move the data pointlessly, basically lowering the lifespan of the SSD.

Did you often defrag the SSD's?

TitanCandy

Commendable
Mar 9, 2020
@Nemesia Thanks for the quick reply, I usually Defrag my HDD about every 4-6 weeks depending on usage and i optimise my SSDs about once every 2-3 Months, this problem hasn't occurred before and the SSD that has gone bad is about 3 years old, Does this mean that i shouldn't optimize the SSDs ever? or is Optimizing diffrent to Defragging, I use windows 10's Defragment and optimize application. :)

@Nemesia Thanks for the quick reply, I usually Defrag my HDD about every 4-6 weeks depending on usage and i optimise my SSDs about once every 2-3 Months, this problem hasn't occurred before and the SSD that has gone bad is about 3 years old, Does this mean that i shouldn't optimize the SSDs ever? or is Optimizing diffrent to Defragging, I use windows 10's Defragment and optimize application. :)
"Optimize SSD", like in forcing Trim is OK but full Defrag is not going to do it any good. It actually does nothing for performance, only increases number of writes.

TitanCandy

Commendable
Mar 9, 2020
Thank you very much guys! so would you advise on buying a new SSD and transferring my data over? or is there anything i can do to save this SSD?

**Edit - And if buying is the option would you recommend any SSDs in particularly?

TitanCandy

Commendable
Mar 9, 2020
The drive is about 3 and 1/2 years old, used some is 98gb it’s usually is done by the windows set defaults but if I usually run into slow boot times then I’ll manually do my defrags and optimisation myself.

"Unknown" means that CrystalDiskInfo doesn't know how to interpret the vendor specific attributes.

The reason for the "BAD" SSD is unclear as you have not shown the bottom half of the SMART report.

BTW, CrystalDiskInfo has a Text Copy function which means you can paste the SMART data in text mode.

TitanCandy

Commendable
Mar 9, 2020
Ahhh thank you @fzabkar if I was to paste the SMART on this thread would it be beneficial to diagnose why my SSD has gone bad?

Also with my “unknown” SSD is there a way I could get ‘CrystalDiskInfo” to understand my vendor specific attributes? I installed my ‘BAD’ SSD when I built my current rig and installed Windows7 on to it (later upgraded to Windows10) and the ‘BAD’ SSD read ‘good’ for the first 3years on CrystalDiskInfo, I installed both exactly the same way, is there a way I can correct this?

TitanCandy

Commendable
Mar 9, 2020
I used GSmartControl and i saw that the life span was failing so i took the plunge and bought a crucial MX500, my 'BAD'SSD is Backed up and if it can last until this evening it will be cloned straight over using EaseUS todo Backup software, thank you very much for all your responses guys! you have helped a great deal :)

If anyone has any tips for heading forward with upkeep and maintenance of my new SSD please feel free to leave them below, i'd buy you all a beer if i could :D

Many thanks,
David

USAFRet

Titan
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

For the new drive, nothing special.
Just don't fill it up too much.

Reactions: TitanCandy
Solution

TitanCandy

Commendable
Mar 9, 2020
@USAFRet Ran into a little snag, cloned the new SSD fine and booted fine and everything works perfectly, except i have 242.19GB of unallocated space and using the disk management tool in Windows10 I right clicked my now new C: drive and wanted to expand the volume of my C: drive partition but the option is greyed out, any thing i can do to extend that partition?

http://puu.sh/FjAo2/a8523980da.png - Screenshot of my disk management

USAFRet

Titan
Right.
In Disk Management, you can only extend to the right, and only if there is nothing in the middle.

You'll need to use a 3rd party partition tool.
Minitool Partition Wizard can do the trick.

Have a good backup before you start.

Did you verify the system boots from the new drive by itself?
Physical disconnection of the old drive?

Reactions: TitanCandy

TitanCandy

Commendable
Mar 9, 2020
@USAFRet Yes sir, Yes i did. My old SSD is currently sitting next to me and im using it as a coaster ;) hasn't been wiped yet but tomorrow is another day, boots perfectly fine, i backed up my C: drive before cloning to my new SSD would it be worth doing another back up before continuing to expand my partition?

TitanCandy

Commendable
Mar 9, 2020
@USAFRet Everything worked as planned, drive works fine and I’ve expanded it so I’m using all the memory on the SSD, I did run into a snag though, this morning after booting for the first time of the day, I got a blue screen, it restarted and everything was fine and ran perfectly afterwards, is that just a hiccup or should I be worried?