[SOLVED] SSD heating while gaming and running a full scan

Nov 12, 2021
Hi All,

I have an HP dr2016tu. I bought the laptop in April

My ssd model -
NVMe SAMSUNG MZVLQ512HALU-000H1

The laptop shows an error (link attached below). This happens when the temperature of my SSD rises above 80 degrees celsius, usually during running some games or a full scan. I have run multiple tests as suggested by HP support and all came back normal. The HP support also suggested resetting the laptop again. They think it's because of some software conflict. Interesting thing I noticed - I run this in CMD "winsat disk - drive d" to check my read and write speeds. Both the speeds have decreased. However, once I reset my laptop, the speeds are back to what they should be. The laptop is performing well and performs as expected during normal usage. However, running a few games or a full scan raises the temperature and the error pops up again

Do you think the temperature rises because of hardware issues or software conflict?
Is my ssd at risk? The hp support app and HWinfo show that it's normal

Link to error - https://ibb.co/2ZkCZkL - please note that when I open the Optane Memory and Storage Management I don't see any errors. It shows that the drive is working normally

If any other information is required, please feel free to ask

Thanks!

Solution
Has HP said what the max temp should be? 80C does seem a bit hot for that, but I'm unable to find what the max temp should be for that drive. Heat will kill the drive eventually so if the alarm is set for 80C I'm assuming that's an issue. Unfortunately seeing as your in a laptop there isn't much that can be done. Resetting it won't make any difference. You need to keep the temps down. That could be as simple as cleaning the fans and making sure you aren't gaming on carpet/blankets, or as complicated as upgrading the cooling. Which again might not be possible with a laptop.

If you bought the laptop in April it should still be under warranty. Continue to talk to HP support and tell them the issue is still there. Perhaps there...

4745454b

Titan
Has HP said what the max temp should be? 80C does seem a bit hot for that, but I'm unable to find what the max temp should be for that drive. Heat will kill the drive eventually so if the alarm is set for 80C I'm assuming that's an issue. Unfortunately seeing as your in a laptop there isn't much that can be done. Resetting it won't make any difference. You need to keep the temps down. That could be as simple as cleaning the fans and making sure you aren't gaming on carpet/blankets, or as complicated as upgrading the cooling. Which again might not be possible with a laptop.

If you bought the laptop in April it should still be under warranty. Continue to talk to HP support and tell them the issue is still there. Perhaps there is an issue with the cooling they provided for that drive and they can fix it. But you'll have to mail it to them. If they can't fix it then demand a refund or new laptop.

Solution
Nov 12, 2021
@4745454b thanks for your reply. Support hasn't specified any max. temperature. I have noticed that I get the warning when the temp goes above 80.

Warning Temperature Threshold: 82 °C
Critical Temperature Threshold: 85 °C
These are according to HWinfo

I make sure to leave space below while gaming. Talking to support rn. The vent seems to be clean, from the outside at least. I don't think opening it and cleaning the inside is something I can do. Hopefully support will figure it out (not very optimistic though). Do you think buying a cooling pad will improve the situation?

Nov 12, 2021
@Nine Layer Nige thanks for replying. I get the issue during running a full scan as well. But, I am not sure whether the GPU temp is high at that time. Vent seems to be clean. But I don't have the skill nor the confidence to open the laptop and clean them properly if that's what you are suggesting

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
SSD drives are sensitive to temperatures and will throttle and cause errors when they get too hot. What you are describing definitely sounds like an issue caused by temperature. I would definitely follow through with making sure all your fans and vents are working properly, but it could be something as simple as poor design choices by HP.