[SOLVED] SSD Help

frostie102

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
Hello,

I am posting to ask for help and advice with a problem that I have been having.

My system:
Gigabyte Ultra Durable 4 Classic Motherboard (unsure of exact model but bought pc in 2013)
AMD FX 6200 3.8 6 Core Processor
GTX 1060 6GB Graphics Card
240gb SSD SATA
2TB HDD

Since about August/September of last year I have been having regular problems with my system crashing frequently, it has crashed 3 times since logging on just to post this! I believe it started because of a Windows 10 update around that time. Prior to this the system was fine. I had made no changes to my system since January 2017 when I switched out the HDD for the SSD as the boot drive.

After spending in excess of 10 hours on the phone over numerous calls to Microsoft technical support for help I have come to the conclusion they are totally useless. However, during one of the first calls the MS handler indicated that my problem was caused by a hardware incompatibility issue. They recommended rolling back to a previous version of windows. I have tried this and it does result in modest improvements to stability but it still crashes. Plus I mainly use my system for gaming and you need the latest version of Windows to run most games.

I have noticed that if I open a programme like a game it seems to improve system stability. It rarely crashes when I am playing a game. I will often leave a game open in the background when doing something else just to prevent/reduce crashing. It can still crash even then sometimes.

I am considering updating my SSD as its kinda small and wondered if this might help with my problem? I appreciate you aren't psychic and may not know for sure!

Also, I am debating PCIE over SATA. I believe my motherboard has a spare PCIE 3 slot and am considering attaching a larger SSD to it as my new boot disk. But I read somewhere that some of the older motherboards may not let you use PCIE as a boot disk.

So my questions are:

1. Can I use a PCIE SSD as a boot drive with my set up?

2. Do you think it may help with my system instability?

Thanks in advance guys.

Solution
So my questions are:

1. Can I use a PCIE SSD as a boot drive with my set up?

Thanks in advance guys.
That motherboard is from 2013. Unless there has been a specific BIOS update that addresses that...probably not. Few boards of that vintage had that functionality upon release.
Have you rolled back or have you reinstall windows all over?

Can I use a PCIE SSD as a boot drive with my set up?
Can't se no reason it shouldn't - as long as you install a clean windows and that is the only storage device attached while installing.

Do you think it may help with my system instability?
Don't know, it depends if it is a hw failure or something else.

Btw: when I searched your mobo model, it seems one big selling point is that it should last for long time.

Reactions: frostie102

frostie102

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
Have you rolled back or have you reinstall windows all over?

Can't se no reason it shouldn't - as long as you install a clean windows and that is the only storage device attached while installing.

Don't know, it depends if it is a hw failure or something else.

Btw: when I searched your mobo model, it seems one big selling point is that it should last for long time.

Hi

Thanks for posting. I have tried rolling back and completely re installing from a flash drive. It doesnt fix it.