jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
i see a 60gb ssd on sale. i was wondering if it would help my computer's speed. when things take a bit of time, i notice neither my cpu usage nor my ram as being anywhere near maxed out. so does that leave the hard drive as the bottleneck?

my current system:

- 3.6GHz quad core AMD CPU
- 8 GB RAM.
- 250 GB 7200rpm HD with 16mb cache.

also, would it be better to put my operating system on it, or the large amout of data that is read and put into RAM (and put the operating system on my SATA drive)?

thanks.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
The SSD won't speed up things that are graphics or that require a lot of CPU cycles, but will certainly help load things faster.

My boot happens in 8 - 10 seconds and shutdown in 2 - 3. All programs launch faster.

It really is quite nice.

Before you move over, make sure the check out the things you should enable/disable in the OS and on the SSD to make sure you take advantage of it and lengthen its lifespan.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
The SSD will absolutely make your system feel much faster, though you're unlikely to get better framerates in games unless your old drive was so bad it couldn't keep up with the small I/O games cause.

Also, you should absolutely put the OS on the SSD. Your operating system constantly reads and writes small files, which is the cause for a lot of the sluggishness in PCs. SSDs fix that.

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
the 1 i was considering is this one, for $60:

Patriot Pyro PP60GS25SSDR 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

you didn't say - if the cpu and ram are not maxed out during a slower operation, does it mean it is definitely the hard drive that is slowing things down?

thanks.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Not necessarily, though it's a good indication, though there's no question that putting an SSD in your system will be like strapping rockets to it. The difference in performance between a system with an SSD and one without is absolutely massive.

I've actually got that exact SSD, and just swapped it out for a 120GB Chronos. The drive is fine, it was just too small for me. It now lives in my wife's computer.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
It is, but not in the same way. Hard drives get really slow when they're nearly full because you fragment the hell out of the data. This means reading/writing data has to jump all over the disk to get all the parts of it.

With an SSD, there's no such thing as fragmentation. Instead, running out of space prevents load balancing from operating correctly, and you can wear out the drive much faster. I would absolutely not recommend buying an SSD with the intention to keep it completely full.