SSD - How useful are they

sausagegaminghd

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Just wondering what performance increase i would get if i installed my windows 7 onto a SSD.

Would that have a great increase in gaming performance or would i have to put my games onto a SSD too, because i think that could become tedious as i will only be getting a small SSD and therefor it would not fit many games on it.

Can someone explain how you use a SSD to its full potential and also recommend me one please.

Solution
There is no need for those games to be on a SSD. You would see more benefit from single player games like RPGs which typically have many load screens. The games you mentioned are all FPS's I believe and you might load into the game quicker but a game like BF4 will eat up nearly half of your lower end lower capacity SSD.
A SSD will load you into a game faster but will do very little to improve any in-game performance unless your game does lots of "loading" or has many load screens.

You would see the biggest improvement in applications running in Windows installed on the SSD and file transfers. Tom's also recommends 16GB of system RAM to pair with it.

Jaxem

Honorable
SSD's are all about read/write times, Windows will load much faster, your games will load faster, your programs within windows will load almost instantly, and file transfers will be super fast. But that's most of the benefit, you won't get a FPS increase playing games, you won't get faster transcodes (unless your disk was bottlenecking, not a problem most the time).

sausagegaminghd

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013

Would you recomend me putting my windows 7 on a SSD with this build for gaming or should i just leave it off? Im going to be playing games like BF4 and Call of Duty Ghosts, DayZ Ect.

Note: In a year or two i will be going crossfire hence why i will be getting such a big power supply because it will work better in the long run anyhow.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1TarM

There is no need for those games to be on a SSD. You would see more benefit from single player games like RPGs which typically have many load screens. The games you mentioned are all FPS's I believe and you might load into the game quicker but a game like BF4 will eat up nearly half of your lower end lower capacity SSD.

Solution

sausagegaminghd

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013

Alright i will delete it off the list of components i will be buying, thanks for the information.

game junky

Distinguished
Only thing it will affect for gaming is your load time, but I think an SSD is the most significant upgrade you can make to a PC these days. Boot time and access time for files is awesome. Samsung 840 Evo is a great option on the market - good blend of reliability and $/GB. Also, they have a disc included with the product that has an optimizer tool to help you get your settings perfect for using an SSD as your boot device.