SSD Idle, HDD Busy?

Oct 24, 2018
Hello,

I just upgraded to an SSD and installed windows 10 on it, and placed the HDD as secondary storage, However...

I've noticed that the HDD still buzzes and gets busy 90-100% and more when i am multitasking (Multiple Chrome tabs, Firefox etc), while SSD is almost idle with around 5-10% usage, I have disabled the write-caching policy in "Policies" of the HDD in "Device Manager" for the "Disk Drives" without success, any idea how to force the SSD itself to take the brunt of usage? because the HDD itself is causing Windows 10 to be laggy especially during high usage, bottle-necking the whole machine

thanks in advance

Solution
ok Finally solved it, wanted to share the solution so others might benefit from it,

The problem is mainly caused by the Pagefile.sys that windows installs randomly in one of your partitions in order to assist boosting the windows speed when you are running heavy and multiple tasks that deplete all ram so it forces the drive (in which that file is) to utilize its processing power to aid the RAM and to boost the windows, however in my case windows installed the Pagefile.sys into the old HDD partition and that caused the rusty thing to keep on 100% to assist windows, (had an adverse effect as it is quite slow and caused the hiccups),

I followed the first solution in this forum...

AsadP2012

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
The HDD can't be causing Windows 10 to be laggy if your SSD is the primary drive with an operating system installed (in your case Windows 10).

What processes are being used high in resources at the time of your SSD being idle?

Have you installed applications that are being run in the background, on your HDD?

How old is your HDD?

Oct 24, 2018

Thank you for the reply,

The HDD is around 7 years old, and it flares up to 100% when using net browsing (chrome and firefox), gaming, even opening PDF documents (even though all of the above are installed on SSD), as in the SSD gets a slight 10% activity, then the rest falls on the HDD, i have no idea why is this happening as i didn't even clone the HDD content onto the SSD, it was a complete fresh windows 10 install

thanks

AsadP2012

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013

If it's 7 years old, it's health isn't probably the best at the moment then.

I can judge that from experience of going through that same issue.

Things are slow, operations take can for what seems like forever.

I would definitely start with getting a new Hard drive - preferably an SSHD which you can pick up for cheap.

If you don't store a lot of data, get a secondary SSD to store files.

FireCuda's are great in terms of SSHD performance and I use a 2TB one for games etc.

Amazon link SSHD Seagate/

The best thing you can do right now is
Install Hard Disk Sentinel- 30 days free trial.
It will tell you how many problems there are with your HDD (if any).
But your windows WILL slow down if the hdd has problems, it has nothing to do with it being on an SSD, because of the way things work.

I suspect you have a failing HDD which is why its doing what it's doing. It seems typical to me.

Afterwards I would run ZHPCleaner and see if there is any hidden malware on your system

Oct 24, 2018
ok Finally solved it, wanted to share the solution so others might benefit from it,

The problem is mainly caused by the Pagefile.sys that windows installs randomly in one of your partitions in order to assist boosting the windows speed when you are running heavy and multiple tasks that deplete all ram so it forces the drive (in which that file is) to utilize its processing power to aid the RAM and to boost the windows, however in my case windows installed the Pagefile.sys into the old HDD partition and that caused the rusty thing to keep on 100% to assist windows, (had an adverse effect as it is quite slow and caused the hiccups),

I followed the first solution in this forum, https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/19d96eb1-669c-4605-8d63-7337f1c09084/how-to-relocate-pagefilesys-to-another-drive-letter?forum=winservergen

i removed the automatic managing and transferred my Pagefile.sys to my SSD partition (which is C:\ in this case) by choosing the C drive in the window, and then restarted, works like a charm now, huge improvement overall and finally peace of mind instead of constant HDD buzzing.

Have a good day all

Solution