[SOLVED] SSD idle temperature

roieco

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
hi all,

so i use a SAMSUNG SSD 2TB 980 PRO M.2 NVMe for OS and a SAMSUNG 2.5" SSD 4TB EVO870 for data.

while idle the EVO870 sits typically on 37C (which is what I'd expect) but the 980 PRO sits at ~51C (drive temperature 1) and 59C (drive temperature 2) most of the time.
that seems a bit high to me and also magician labels it as such.

please take into account that the 980 PRO has a heat sink as i use the ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI motherboard.

should i be worried? is this typical?
thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited:
hi all,

so i use a SAMSUNG SSD 2TB 980 PRO M.2 NVMe for OS and a SAMSUNG 2.5" SSD 4TB EVO870 for data.

while idle the EVO870 sits typically on 37C (which is what I'd expect) but the 980 PRO sits at ~51C (drive temperature 1) and 59C (drive temperature 2) most of the time.
that seems a bit high to me and also magician labels it as such.

please take into account that the 980 PRO has a heat sink as i use the ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI motherboard.

should i be worried? is this typical?
thanks a lot for your help.
Just as a test move the 980 to slot 3.
What do the temps do?

roieco

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
hey all, thanks for your replies.

so i let the computer cool off completely, then turned it on and gave it 1 hour of true idle (nothing running except for the sensor program).

the results were as follows: (the values are current, min, max, average)

vuXxBw3.png

i did some more reading, and it appears that the drive temperature 2 (the hotter one) is (most likely) the ASIC controller. magician displays the lower temperature.
is this better?

Where is your SAMSUNG SSD 2TB 980 PRO M.2 NVMe slotted in? Is it above the GPU or below the GPU?
Also is there adequate airflow on the SSD? A passive heatsink is useless with little to no airflow passing through won't drop the temps by much if the air on top of it is stagnant.
If there is nothing to push the air on top of the heatsink towards the exhaust of your chassis, then hot air just accumulates.

Yes, the SSD's controller is usually hotter than the NAND flash. This is normal.
As I observed as well on my SSD, both nand flash and controller temps linearly scales (i.e. if nand flash becomes hotter, so does the controller/vice versa).
However 50C temps on idle would warrant some concern.

Last edited:

roieco

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Where is your SAMSUNG SSD 2TB 980 PRO M.2 NVMe slotted in? Is it above the GPU or below the GPU?
Also is there adequate airflow on the SSD? A passive heatsink is useless with little to no airflow passing through won't drop the temps by much if the air on top of it is stagnant.
If there is nothing to push the air on top of the heatsink towards the exhaust of your chassis, then hot air just accumulates.

Yes, the SSD's controller is usually hotter than the NAND flash. This is normal.
As I observed as well on my SSD, both nand flash and controller temps linearly scales (i.e. if nand flash becomes hotter, so does the controller/vice versa).
However 50C temps on idle would warrant some concern.

here's the M2 location:

tRy9Ulf.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
putting it under might give better temps

location above has to get air past ram and it isn't the ideal spot.

the 2nd temp recorded is the memory temp inside the NVME, the 1st temp is outside. temp 2 always going to be warmer but you should be able to get cooler than that.
Your idle temps are about same as what I get and your max on temp 2 is below what I get. I have nvme in same spot in case.

roieco

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
thanks.

i removed the top and front sides of the case, but all it got me is to 47C(temp1) and 55C(temp2).

here's a layout of the motherboard with regards to pcis speeds:

8iTWot0.png

so with this nvme i should use the orange slots. using the 2nd seems to put it just under the gpu. wont that be even worse than now?

and another idea: do you think using a riser cable to relocate the gpu further away could help?

Some cases have weak intake airflow such that by the time the air from the intake fans reaches the ssd, air pressure is negligible.

Yup, riser cables are not standardized as well. You will have to be looking for quality riser cables to ensure the safety of your components.
In this scenario, there's not much benefit to be had to vertically mount your GPU in order to cool your ssd.
Placing it below the GPU is one viable way, however not without some limitations like the one you mentioned - running at a PCI-E 3.0 lane.
Inferring from your diagram as well, it is run by the chipset as it is colored blue, which links it to the Z590 chipset area.
If this motherboard has a chipset fan, it will run and wear out over time with the ssd installed on the slot that is governed by the chipset.

I also faced a similar issue with cooling my ssd, but I took a very different approach and got my temps reduced by 4-5C - just wanted to share and give ideas.
It may or may not be doable in your case. I do not promote it since its a little unconventional for the average user, but I did it because I didn't want to run it under my GPU.