Question SSD in external enclosure is not automatically assigned a drive-letter ?

Jun 10, 2022
Hello everyone
I am experiencing a strange thing (at least for me)
I bought a Samsung SSD 4tb 870 qvo to put it in an enclosure and use it as External Storage.
When I plug the usb into a pc it doesn't detect it unless I manually assign the letter to it first.
Once I enter the letter manually the ssd is detect it and works fine.
But if I plug it into another pc i have to manually assign the letter again or, if the letter is already used, i need to manually assign a new letter.
obviusly if i do not have the admin privileges i cannot mount the external SSD
i have tried using the ssd into 3 different enclosoures, same problem, so i think it is an hard disk problem.

Hello everyone
I am experiencing a strange thing (at least for me)
I bought a Samsung SSD 4tb 870 qvo to put it in an enclosure and use it as External Storage.
When I plug the usb into a pc it doesn't detect it unless I manually assign the letter to it first.
Once I enter the letter manually the ssd is detect it and works fine.
But if I plug it into another pc i have to manually assign the letter again or, if the letter is already used, i need to manually assign a new letter.
obviusly if i do not have the admin privileges i cannot mount the external SSD
i have tried using the ssd into 3 different enclosoures, same problem, so i think it is an hard disk problem.
Normally when you connect a new disk, you open up Disk Management, and if necessary create a new volume (partition), format the volume, and assign a drive letter as part of the formatting process. If the drive is already formatted you just assign a drive letter which remains the same the next time you connect the drive. It is normal that this must be done for each computer the drive is connected to.

Jun 10, 2022
Thank you for the answer
i owned a lot of external Hard disk and was never forced to assign the letter manually
the problem is when i connect the drive to a pc where i do not have the admin privileges.
in this case i don't know how to mount the Drive.

Thank you for the answer
i owned a lot of external Hard disk and was never forced to assign the letter manually
the problem is when i connect the drive to a pc where i do not have the admin privileges.
in this case i don't know how to mount the Drive.
Are you saying that if you press the Windows key or click on the Windows icon and type in Disk Management the app does not open? I was not aware that this required Admin privileges.

USAFRet

Titan
Are you saying that if you press the Windows key or click on the Windows icon and type in Disk Management the app does not open? I was not aware that this required Admin privileges.
Yes.
Win 11, Standard local account, this is what you get:
hHFj6ED.jpg

An Admin account runs it just fine.

Win 10 is the same.

Reactions: dwd999