SSD in GPT and other two HDDs in MBR partition? Impossible?

karasahin

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
Hello. I use GT70 barebone laptop. I want my Windows 7's boot fast as Windows 8's boot by formatting the entire disk in order to change MBR partition to GPT. That way I can install my Windows 7 with UEFI.

But there is a problem. I have a SSD and two HDDs. I don't want to lose all of my information in HDDs because of changing partition. I also don't have enough space to backup all of my information in my HDDs. So I got an idea...

What if... When the time I change my SSD's partition into GPT, unplug those two HDDs? Will it work? I mean, when the changing partition process and installation of Windows 7 finished, may I be able to plug my two HDDs and will they work together with no fuss? GPT and MBR partitions in one system? Is it possible?

Does anybody have experience in this situation? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance and sorry for my grammer.

karasahin

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
Awesome! Your answer is very quick, thanks a lot.

"You can also see that there is a protective MBR at the first sector of the hard disk. Such hybrid setup is to allow a BIOS-based system to boot from a GPT disk using a boot loader stored in the protective MBR’s code area. In addition, it protects the GPT disk from damage by GPT-unaware disk utilties."

I think this is the line that proves my situation in article you point it out, am I right?

TRENDING THREADS