[SOLVED] SSD in laptop caddy (replaced DVD) doesn't show up at all in File Explorer. Do I need to do something to make it recognized?

Solution
Does the drive appear in Disk Management?
Right click the start icon, select disk management.

If it does, you likely need to initialize the drive &/or assign a drive letter.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
forget disk manager, check in BIOS to see if it shows up in there first

They're already inside Windows, so Disk Management would be the easiest place to check.
Obviously, if it's not showing up in DM then they'd need to backtrack (BIOS, physical connections etc), but unless the ODD's SATA port was disabled to begin with, the drive should be showing up in DM

c050

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
I started Disk Manager and get a popup "You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it". I can chose between MBR or GPT in the popup.
I also have an unknown "Disk 1" 447.13 GB (correct amount) "unallocated" "Not initialised" with a little red mark.

So that looks promising.

This is not to be the O/S disk (yet) so I'm thinking to choose GPT and then choose NTFS if that choice is given. It will be an extra disk I will put programs on.

They're already inside Windows, so Disk Management would be the easiest place to check.
Obviously, if it's not showing up in DM then they'd need to backtrack (BIOS, physical connections etc), but unless the ODD's SATA port was disabled to begin with, the drive should be showing up in DM

the OP asked why the drive wasn't being detected. this would be the easiest way to see if it was a hardware or connectvity issue or not. if the drive is detected is BIOS then the next logical step would have been your suggestion

c050

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
Googling MBR or GPT ...
Picked GPT as PC has UEFI and is 'modern' (2012).

Now how many partitions? As Win 10 will not be here (yet) and I will only put programs here ... Any reason for more than one partition?
~

Made a single NTFS partition with Disk manager -> New Simple Volume Wizard
Default alignment. Took all defaults except Volume Name.
Made sure "Quick Format" was checked. Should do this with SSD so formatter doesn't try to format it as a platter with unnecessary writes.
Formatting took about 2-3 seconds.
~

So, success it seems (for anybody finding this thread in x years).

Last edited: