Question SSD in pcie express adapter

Mar 7, 2019
i wanted to buy another ssd because i don't have space for sata 3 6gb so i dicided to to use pcie x 1 slot and turn it to ssd adapter slot... and i have 1 ssd nvme m.2 slot with samsung 252 gb 860 i wanted to buy nvme 512 gb...

my question is
is the speed slowing ?
should i buy or wait ?
what is the best option ?

thanks guys...

My specs is ryzen 5 1600 OC 3.8 GHZ
Gtx 1050 ti
4 hdd with 2x 500, 1 x 3 tb, abd 1 x 4Tb
1 sdd m2 ( 860 evo samsung)
Have 550 w focus gold from seasonic

Last edited:
You need to be sure your M.2 slot is NVME capable if pondering that purhcase, as some are SATA-only...which is what the M.2 860 EVO is....

What do you mean by 'don't have space for SATA III/6 Gbps...'?

DO you mean don't have space for a conventional 3.5" spinning hard drive for bulk storage? Or merely no more SATA ports?

PCI-eX1 slot is likely inadequate for any NVME adapters, w/ most requiring X4 slots I believe, and if one existed that utilized only 1 lane, it would run at barely over standard SATA speeds anyway, at 1/4 it's designed speed, as most NVME drives want 2 or 4 PCI-e lanes....

Mar 7, 2019
You need to be sure your M.2 slot is NVME capable if pondering that purhcase, as some are SATA-only...which is what the M.2 860 EVO is....

What do you mean by 'don't have space for SATA III/6 Gbps...'?

DO you mean don't have space for a conventional 3.5" spinning hard drive for bulk storage? Or merely no more SATA ports?

PCI-eX1 slot is likely inadequate for any NVME adapters, w/ most requiring X4 slots I believe, and if one existed that utilized only 1 lane, it would run at barely over standard SATA speeds anyway, at 1/4 it's designed speed, as most NVME drives want 2 or 4 PCI-e lanes....

I dont have any ports left...
In msi page my b350 gaming pro is capable nvme...

Mar 7, 2019
What is the rest of the system?
What do you use it for?

Often, the magical speed benefit of an NVMe drive over a regular SATA III SSD does not result in actual user facing benefit.
You just have a smaller wallet.

My specs is ryzen 5 1600 OC 3.8 GHZ
Gtx 1050 ti
4 hdd with 2x 500, 1 x 3 tb, abd 1 x 4Tb
1 sdd m2 ( 860 evo samsung)
Have 550 w focus gold from seasonic

Mar 7, 2019
What is the rest of the system?
What do you use it for?

Often, the magical speed benefit of an NVMe drive over a regular SATA III SSD does not result in actual user facing benefit.
You just have a smaller wallet.

I mean in my country ssd 512 gb sata is 140 dolar ( samsung version but other version average is 120 130 dolar )
I can get nvme adata sx8200 pro m.2 sata pcie gen 3x4 512 gb is 100 dolar

The price !!! And very very amazing
You see that is really great...

Mar 7, 2019
That was not clear in any of your text above.

Give us a full rundown of what drives you have now, what drives are in what slots, and what you wish the end state to be.
And what you use this system for.

i have m.2 sata 860 evo samsung in m.2 slot
i have 4 sata hardrive

right now i wanted to buy a new ssd nvme m.2 and put my m.2 sata 860 evo samsung in pcie x1 adapter so i asked you would it be worth it to put my evo 860 252gb in pcie x1 adapter ?

what this system do is for working and yes for gaming also

so is this worth it or not ?
thanks