[SOLVED] SSD in RAID 0 just disappeared.

Feb 21, 2020
Hi. Got brand new PC with 2*2TB SSD NVMe in RAID 0. Used for couple months and everything was fine until today. In one moment everything froze and I had to shut down PC by holding power button, after that restarted into BIOS and I saw there are no more SSDs. When I disabled RAID I can see only one of the SSDs. I dont know what happened and what to do. Please help, it's expensive and I dont think I will buy new one.

Solution
As I wrote when RAID disabled I can see only one SSD (I dont know which one), but still can't boot OS cause in this case I have to reinstall everything on single drive if that drive works. This is custom build PC. Can you also explain why having RAID 0 is a bad idea?
You need to determine which, if any, drives are bad.
Or the RAID controller.
Or the motherboard.

RAID 0 with SSD's brings little if any performance benefit, but increases the fail potential.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi. Got brand new PC with 2*2TB SSD NVMe in RAID 0. Used for couple months and everything was fine until today. In one moment everything froze and I had to shut down PC by holding power button, after that restarted into BIOS and I saw there are no more SSDs. When I disabled RAID I can see only one of the SSDs. I dont know what happened and what to do. Please help, it's expensive and I dont think I will buy new one.
What to do?
Determine the problem. If a physical drive problem, replace the drive.
Recover the data from your backup.

Preferably without the RAID 0.

No backup?
Discover the problem, fix or replace as needed, and full reinstall.

Feb 21, 2020
I do have backup but what's the point if SSDs dont show up in BIOS even, like i dont have them at all. I can't just replace cause I dont have any extra. Is there other way to find the problem? I just turned on my PS4 after weeks and HDD damaged too. I dont know how its possible, cause I have it for years and eveverhthing was great. Is it possible cause of weather or something else? It's really weird, I've never had anything like that before.

USAFRet

Titan
I do have backup but what's the point if SSDs dont show up in BIOS even, like i dont have them at all. I can't just replace cause I dont have any extra. Is there other way to find the problem? I just turned on my PS4 after weeks and HDD damaged too. I dont know how its possible, cause I have it for years and eveverhthing was great. Is it possible cause of weather or something else? It's really weird, I've never had anything like that before.
Disregarding any RAID, check each of the drives individually.
Do they appear in the BIOS?

USAFRet

Titan
RAID 0 should not be used for the OS drive
RAID 0 should only be used if there is a known good backup, and you know how to recover
RAID 0 should not be used with SSD of any type

In the consumer space, RAID of any type is rarely a good idea.

Feb 21, 2020
As I wrote when RAID disabled I can see only one SSD (I dont know which one), but still can't boot OS cause in this case I have to reinstall everything on single drive if that drive works. This is custom build PC. Can you also explain why having RAID 0 is a bad idea?

USAFRet

Titan
Or the RAID controller.
Or the motherboard.

RAID 0 with SSD's brings little if any performance benefit, but increases the fail potential.

Solution
Feb 21, 2020
Or the RAID controller.
Or the motherboard.

How so? I needed RAID 0 to have one drive, not 2 separate. If that's so bad, then why so many manufacturers do RAID in their laptops and desktops? I'll try to remove those drives and check each but still have no idea how to check them in BIOS, and also I'll call to customer service, maybe still have warranty.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, it gives you a single drive letter.
But it increases the fail potential, and doesn't give any performance benefit. Which was the original purpose of a RAID 0. Striped across 2x HDD delivers greater throughput.

For the "single drive letter"...Windows and applications have gotten really good at seeing multiple drives with no issue.

Why do manufacturers config and sell this? Because it sounds cool and makes sales.

My system (parts list below) has 7x SSD's. No RAID in sight.

Feb 21, 2020
Yes, it gives you a single drive letter.
But it increases the fail potential, and doesn't give any performance benefit. Which was the original purpose of a RAID 0. Striped across 2x HDD delivers greater throughput.

For the "single drive letter"...Windows and applications have gotten really good at seeing multiple drives with no issue.

Why do manufacturers config and sell this? Because it sounds cool and makes sales.

My system (parts list below) has 7x SSD's. No RAID in sight.
Maybe you're right, I'm not expert in such questions, I still have food performance but I wanted to have one drive system to have everhthing in one bucket kinda. Do you think I can do something about to make both drives to work?

USAFRet

Titan
Maybe you're right, I'm not expert in such questions, I still have food performance but I wanted to have one drive system to have everhthing in one bucket kinda. Do you think I can do something about to make both drives to work?
You need to determine what and how it failed.

What other drives are in this system?
Disconnect ALL except one of the M.2 drives.
Does it appear in the BIOS?
Repeat with the other.
Then repeat with the other M.2 port.

Feb 21, 2020
You need to determine what and how it failed.

What other drives are in this system?
Disconnect ALL except one of the M.2 drives.
Does it appear in the BIOS?
Repeat with the other.
Then repeat with the other M.2 port.
I got only these 2 and I don't see them in BIOS. I've sent a message to manufacturer, hopefully they will replace them.

Feb 21, 2020
So I found which one but still have to wait for the answer from manufacturer. I have removed each and then tried different slot, so both slots work with one of the SSDs and the other SSD doesn't work with both slots. Do you think it could be MB?