Question SSD IN SATA 1 PORT SPEED

Feb 18, 2019
hi, im thinking of connecting a kingston a400 ssd to my PC, but i can only put it on a sata 1 cable.
if i do this, will the speeds still be faster than an HDD?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You specified using a "SATA I cable". I presume you mean using a SATA cable that was a bit older and used previously in an original SATA 150 Gb/s set-up. Good news. The data CABLE for SATA has not changed as the systems evolved and speeded up. What has changed is the speed of the CONTROLLER chip on the mobo and the interface chop in the SATA device. The original cable designs still work for all versions of SATA in common use today and do NOT restrict the device's speed. So the speed will be determined by the SSD's specs and by the speed of the mobo SATA port you plug it into, NOT by the cable you use.

Feb 18, 2019
You specified using a "SATA I cable". I presume you mean using a SATA cable that was a bit older and used previously in an original SATA 150 Gb/s set-up. Good news. The data CABLE for SATA has not changed as the systems evolved and speeded up. What has changed is the speed of the CONTROLLER chip on the mobo and the interface chop in the SATA device. The original cable designs still work for all versions of SATA in common use today and do NOT restrict the device's speed. So the speed will be determined by the SSD's specs and by the speed of the mobo SATA port you plug it into, NOT by the cable you use.
Just some extra info, the cable is slimsata connecting a dvd player and I will be getting an adapter to put my ssd in. So would that change anything?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just look at the connector on the back of your DVD player that the cable was plugged into. Does it look just like the SATA data connector on any other device, like a HDD or your new SSD? Then it will work. When you say you are using an "adapter", I suspect you mean a mounting bracket of thin metal used to fit a smaller SSD unit into the slot for a 3½" hard drive. That will have no impact on how you connect your data cable or power cable to the SSD's terminal strips.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I doubt that will work. If you look a this carefully, you will see that the adapter you linked to is intended to plug into the back edge of a device (like your DVD player) that has the non-standard Slim SATA connectors on it rather than the standard two SATA connectors found on most HDD's. Once that is done, then you can use standard SATA power and data connection cables to plug into the wider end of the adapter, thus allowing you to use that DVD from standard SATA ports. But your problem is the reverse! You have a new SSD with standard SATA connectors on it, I presume. And you would like to use the special old cable for the DVD drive that has the non-standard Slim SATA connectors on one end. You cannot plug the wide end of that adapter into the standard SATA connectors on your new SSD, and the narrow end of the adapter would not accept the Slim SATA connectors on your old cable. You will need to get a simple normal SATA data cable for your new SSD. Then you will use a normal SATA power output connector on the wires from your PSU to provide power to the SSD.

Feb 18, 2019
and the narrow end of the adapter would not accept the Slim SATA connectors on your old cable. You will need to get a simple normal SATA data cable for your new SSD. Then you will use a normal SATA power output connector on the wires from your PSU to provide power to the SSD.
i understand now, so if I plug in the slim sata to the adapter and the other end to the hard drive. the computer will not recognise it...right?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not quite. I believe that you simply cannot fit the connectors together. The wide end of that adapter will not fit into the two SATA connectors in the back of your new SSD. In fact, the wide end looks exactly like the sockets on the back edge of your SSD, right? It does NOT look like the two connectors on the ends of the normal SATA data and power connection cables. The Slim SATA cable will not plug into the narrow end of the adapter.

Feb 18, 2019
Not quite. I believe that you simply cannot fit the connectors together. The wide end of that adapter will not fit into the two SATA connectors in the back of your new SSD. In fact, the wide end looks exactly like the sockets on the back edge of your SSD, right? It does NOT look like the two connectors on the ends of the normal SATA data and power connection cables. The Slim SATA cable will not plug into the narrow end of the adapter.
ok, so look at this picture from the adapter https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SATA-22-...h=item41d48d3b2e:g:GAMAAOSwvylbXsMF:rk:3:pf:0
View: https://imgur.com/BwvWnip

and here is an image of kingston a400
View: https://imgur.com/sIQWQae

this is a slimsata View: https://imgur.com/a/Yj9QtSV

the sata port looks like it can fit into the A400, so im confused

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think you are quite right, and this adapter would do the job you want. That is, allow you to use a cable with a Slim SATA connector on one end to connect to a normal SATA connector set on your new SSD unit. What threw me was that the DESCRIPTION of the adapter on that eBay site says it is used for the opposite application. It says it would allow you to connect from a mobo/PSU set of standard SATA connectors to a device with a Slim SATA input, like a laptop optical drive. But the PHOTO posted on that site shows that the Slim SATA end of it would ACCEPT a Slim SATA input cable connecor such as your cable has. In fact, according to the photo, that adapter would NOT be able to plug into a Slim SATA socket on a laptop CD unit, and could not accept standard SATA cable ends.

Just a note of caution here. The eBay web page thus contradicts itself, because what it shows in the photo does NOT match what it describes. That means it is in error. So, which error? Is the photo correct and the description wrong, so that the actual unit WILL do your task? Or, is the photo posted the wrong one, and the actual adapter being sold is according to the descriptive words? I encourage you to check that detail before buying.