[SOLVED] SSD incompatible with Dell Inspiron [SOLVED]

firespike8

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
So I never knew compatibility could be an issue with storage devices but apparently it is. Computer is a Dell Inspiron 14 3451, original HDD had windows 10 installed on it.

SSD is crucial mx500 250gb. Brand new, tested working in another desktop.

Only the laptop will not get past post when the hard drive is connected after clean install of windows 10 or 8.

To be clear:
SSD - working on desktop
SSD - will not post on laptop
Both clean installs from a newly made windows 10 install usb.

Solution
I managed to force it to install. I disabled UEFI, disabled fast boot, disabled secure boot, ran in legacy bios and installed using an Easy2Boot thumb drive.

The official microsoft provided windows 10 installer would not work. (Even with above steps.) The mounting and emulation of Easy2Boot must have changed something.

After the install I was able to turn on those settings, except secure boot has to stay disabled now of course. The partition installed as MBR instead of gpt, but I'm not worried.

Note: The old hard disk drive was secure boot enabled, formatted in gpt and running in UEFI bios. So none of these things should have stopped the new SSD from working, but one of them did and kept halting the install after the first restart...

iamacow

Admirable
Sounds like you installed windows 10 on the desktop, took the drive out and put into a laptop. That will not work. Windows needs to be installed on the computer you are using it with. Now if you still have the old hdd from the laptop you can clone it to the ssd.

firespike8

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
No that is not what I did. I clean installed the SSD on my laptop. It fails to load after first reboot.

Laptop is known working, if I replace the SSD with the original HDD it had installed it boots fine.

Then to make sure the SSD was not DOA I clean installed the SSD on my desktop system. It boots fine.

One can surmise it is a compatibility issue between the SSD and the laptop motherboard.

Update:

I managed to force the laptop to load the SSD and the windows 10 install continued for a bit before hitting a bsod. Now it says 'selected boot device failed'.

I was only able to get it to progress further by unhooking the SSD from the internal sata connectors and instead running it in an enclosure. Only then did the setup continue a little further before producing the bsod.

USAFRet

Titan
I've not seen any motherboard, laptop or otherwise, that would work with an HDD and also fail with a (functional) 2.5" SATA III SSD.
The system sees the same interface.

Are you installing this on the SSD with only the SSD connected?

firespike8

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I managed to force it to install. I disabled UEFI, disabled fast boot, disabled secure boot, ran in legacy bios and installed using an Easy2Boot thumb drive.

The official microsoft provided windows 10 installer would not work. (Even with above steps.) The mounting and emulation of Easy2Boot must have changed something.

After the install I was able to turn on those settings, except secure boot has to stay disabled now of course. The partition installed as MBR instead of gpt, but I'm not worried.

Note: The old hard disk drive was secure boot enabled, formatted in gpt and running in UEFI bios. So none of these things should have stopped the new SSD from working, but one of them did and kept halting the install after the first restart. The computer wouldn't post, it would get stuck on the Dell logo.

Anyway problem solved. Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully this thread helps someone else out one day.

Solution

iamacow

Admirable
Ahh Secure Boot would lock you out. I had to disable it on my old lap because even though Windows 8 Secure boot was enabled, it didn't work with Windows 10 fresh install.

Glad you figured it out. But you could have explained it a lot better. I still don't know what you were doing before. Just that you in the end disabled secure boot and installed windows 10.

3club

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

Note: The old hard disk drive was secure boot enabled, formatted in gpt and running in UEFI bios. So none of these things should have stopped the new SSD from working, but one of them did and kept halting the install after the first restart. The computer wouldn't post, it would get stuck on the Dell logo.

Anyway problem solved. Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully this thread helps someone else out one day.
I had the same problem. But you can use a SSD and keep the UEFI settings if you use a Western Digital SSD. I'm not sure why, but Samsung drives have this problem.