Question SSD Initialization failed. Intel S3710 800G

Apr 5, 2022
1. How I got the problem: Recently got an Intel S3710 800g SSD. Since I wish to transfer data between mac and windows, I tried to reformat it into exFAT. File explorer got stuck some a while and then windows can not detect the disk.

2. Current status:
-When I put it into an external case, the disk management can detect the drive and ask me to initialize. However, I got the error message when I click initialize button: "The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error".
-When I directly connect it with sata, the inilitialization in disk management failed again with error that I am interacting with a non-existing device.
-I tried to use diskpart, the disk can be found but with size = 0 B. And of course it failed when I tried to create a partition with it.
-This disk can not be found in DiskGenius, but can be found in PartAsssist, still with 0 B size.

3. Possible reason?
-The type-A usb3.0 interface of the external hard disk drive (JMS578) might can not provide sufficient power for S3710. Or the connection might be lost during the reformating process.

It would greatly helpful if you can provide any idea or information about this issue.

Apr 5, 2022
It sounds like the SSD has suffered a "firmware panic".

Can you show us how CrystalDiskInfo detects the drive?
Just checked with CrystalDiskInfo, since windows cannot initialize the disk, it cannot be dectected in the CrystalDiskInfo.

At first I thought this should be a minor issue, now it seems to be quite challenging.

Thanks for your kind reply!