[SOLVED] SSD installation and cables

Borko1

Reputable
Nov 4, 2016
Hello. So, recently I bought a 240GB SSD because I wanted to put some games on it. It is fully working now, I tested it in SSD user benchmark program and it shows normal speeds, as manufacturer provides. There isn't any problem with SSD, but I am worried about something I did when I was installing it. First, I put it in 2.5' slot and fasten it with screws, then I connected SATA 6GB/s cable with SSD easily, but the problem was with SATA power cable. I tried to connect it on right and correctly on SSD port, but I couldn't. So, I got nervous and forced it badly, tried to move it a little bit but it couldn't connect. Then I realized I just got to move it a little bit down and it connected easily. Then everything worked perfectly when I turned it on. So, I am curious about that I harmed the power cable port on SSD, but I didn't saw any damages on it, but I'm still curious. I'm glad that I didn't harm SATA 6GB/s cable port because it is more important. So, what do you think about this? Thanks in advance.

Solution
If you had damaged anything, it's pretty doubtful it would be working normally. I would not worry about it unless something seems "off" or fails to work correctly. I encounter connections that don't seem to want to easily plug in all the time, even though I've connected the same connections on various systems probably thousands of times before. Unless you REALLY force something, or are connecting to exposed pins like the fan headers or DVI and VGA video cables, it's usually not going to cause damage.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
If it's working, it's working. You may have caused some damage, but not enough for it to break or stop working. If you've run all the diagnostic/benchmark stuff and it says the disk is fine, then the disk is fine.

If you had damaged anything, it's pretty doubtful it would be working normally. I would not worry about it unless something seems "off" or fails to work correctly. I encounter connections that don't seem to want to easily plug in all the time, even though I've connected the same connections on various systems probably thousands of times before. Unless you REALLY force something, or are connecting to exposed pins like the fan headers or DVI and VGA video cables, it's usually not going to cause damage.

Solution