Question SSD Installation

ReadyPlayer23

Prominent
Apr 17, 2019
Hey guys,

Before I begin, I want to put it out there that I am a complete noob with these sorts of things, so please try to explain in the simplest form.

I have bought myself a 250gb Gigabyte SSD for my pc. I would like a complete runthrough from start to finish of what I should do when installing this. I would like the SSD to be my main boot drive and have programs on here that I use often. I then have a 1TB HDD which I would like as a backup drive.

At the moment, everything is on the HDD.

I would appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Cheers!

Which SSD did you get? (Some come with or authorize use of migration or cloning software, although often migrating to a smaller SSD can be problematic, depending on existing partition scheme. ANd if going from spinning hard drive to NVME SSD, then, even more so, see below..)

Easiest/cleanest way might be to simply freshly reinstall WIndows and apps to the SSD, then quick format the hard drive for use as secondary storage.... (Backup any must have files beforehand; you will need correct chipset and GPU drivers as well, as default installed MS drivers may or may not work, but, are rarely the best ones when others are available from mainboard/GPU manufacturers....

USAFRet

Titan
With 610GB consumed space, you can't clone/migrate that into a 250GB drive.

So, a clean install on the new SSD.
Basically, this:

ReadyPlayer23

Prominent
Apr 17, 2019
With 610GB consumed space, you can't clone/migrate that into a 250GB drive.

So, a clean install on the new SSD.
Basically, this:
I have done a clean install of Windows and will just re-download any programs. However, I now have the issue of my SSD not showing up under my computer or even disk management.. This is very frustrating. It shows up in my BIOS and also under Disk Drives. Am I missing something?