SSD is filling up, what are my options?

wcarhart

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
I just built a new computer this summer, and it's working out great! The only issue is I bought a 250gb SSD thinking it would be plenty of room for my OS and all of my games. I am starting to realize that I would rather have a larger SSD, which led me to other thinking.

I am considering three options: 1) Buy a new larger SSD, and put everything from the old one on the new one (but would I have to re-buy Windows/back up everything and then reinstall it?), 2) Buy a second SSD and use it in addition to the current one (is there a way to set up the SSD so that once the original SSD fills up it automatically starts writing to the new one, so they work as one larger SSD?), 3) Buy a much larger SSD, and sell both my current SSD and my hard drive, and work purely from an SSD (this would be pretty expensive).

Which options should I go with? I would like to go with the second option if it is possible. I don't know a lot about storage so please excuse my lack of knowledge. Is it possible to create a RAID array with SSDs, or something equivalent?

Thanks.

fport

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Go with NormH's solution.

A second larger ssd would copy directly over using something like Paragon or one of the free
copy programs. Cleaning your SSD regularly and making sure it only has your most current
stuff and the OS is the way to go using a 2TBG backup.