[SOLVED] Ssd is not detected after keeping laptop shutdown for long time.

Sep 3, 2019
PCIe SSD on msi not detected after keeping it shutdown for long hours bht detects when kept in bios for 5-6 min and then resetting.

This doesn't happen when pc once start it then detect each time it restarted .but this happens every time i keep it shut for 2-3 hours or more

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Usually the drive is actually detected, however the cmos gets reset and doesnt remember the boot drive, chances are if you launch your bios (f2, f10, f12, del, etc. depending on mobo) settings you can select the drive again then off you go.

My pc does this after long periods without power also, it cannot remember what drive its supposed to boot from, reselecting it in the bios fixes is 9/10 times. Could potentially also be a faulty connection, open your case (when its off and discharged ofc, unplug remove battery and all that, then press and hold the power button 3 times (for 5 sec) or until it doesnt attempt to turn on anymore) and just reseat the ssd/change which its seated, some motherboards will give up after trying the first PCIe...

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
Usually the drive is actually detected, however the cmos gets reset and doesnt remember the boot drive, chances are if you launch your bios (f2, f10, f12, del, etc. depending on mobo) settings you can select the drive again then off you go.

My pc does this after long periods without power also, it cannot remember what drive its supposed to boot from, reselecting it in the bios fixes is 9/10 times. Could potentially also be a faulty connection, open your case (when its off and discharged ofc, unplug remove battery and all that, then press and hold the power button 3 times (for 5 sec) or until it doesnt attempt to turn on anymore) and just reseat the ssd/change which its seated, some motherboards will give up after trying the first PCIe slot and not try the second, put it in the first.

Reactions: nikschy97
Solution
Sep 3, 2019

My pc does this after long periods without power also, it cannot remember what drive its supposed to boot from, reselecting it in the bios fixes is 9/10 times. Could potentially also be a faulty connection, open your case (when its off and discharged ofc, unplug remove battery and all that, then press and hold the power button 3 times (for 5 sec) or until it doesnt attempt to turn on anymore) and just reseat the ssd/change which its seated, some motherboards will give up after trying the first PCIe slot and not try the second, put it in the first.
It is not showing in BIOS all the ports are empty,it takes time tto get it detected