[SOLVED] SSD is not detected in BIOS after power outage

Dec 22, 2020
My 1 year old Crucial BX500 SSD might be dead?

The other night we had a sudden power outage and once I turned on my computer again, it wouldn't boot to windows. I was stuck in the Gigabyte splash screen until it put me into the BIOS Setup after about 2 minutes. I checked to see if I could do a boot override but the list of bootable drives (I only have the 1 SSD on this system) was empty.

I tried installing the SSD into a different PC and when I ran DISKPART, it wasn't detected either. Also tried using different SATA cables. ports, and SATA to USB.

Is there a way to repair or salvage files from the drive?

If I were to replace it, what brands/storage devices should I look out for? Power outages happen a few times a year where I live.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Solution
Your data could be still on the flash chips but that requires a data recovery entity to get involve and the cost is high.
Any data your deem important and worth to you, should be backup, since a disk could fail without warning.

Crucial is a very good brand and that could happen to any disk in your system.

To prevent outages from breaking electronics you need to protect them.
Either power off and unplug power when there is a storm or get a good (UL-listed) surge protector or even better a UPS.
Usually a good PSU will take the hit, instead of passing it to the PC components.
Also, disable fast startup to allow windows to fully shutdown and prevent disk corruption when losing power.

Palorim12

Distinguished
My 1 year old Crucial BX500 SSD might be dead?

The other night we had a sudden power outage and once I turned on my computer again, it wouldn't boot to windows. I was stuck in the Gigabyte splash screen until it put me into the BIOS Setup after about 2 minutes. I checked to see if I could do a boot override but the list of bootable drives (I only have the 1 SSD on this system) was empty.

I tried installing the SSD into a different PC and when I ran DISKPART, it wasn't detected either. Also tried using different SATA cables. ports, and SATA to USB.

Is there a way to repair or salvage files from the drive?

If I were to replace it, what brands/storage devices should I look out for? Power outages happen a few times a year where I live.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
your kinda stuck to the will of the gods with consumer brand SSDs and power outtages. enterprise type drives tend to have some kind of PLP, power loss protection, i don't think any consumer drives do, unless that's changed in the last 2-3 years.

Your data could be still on the flash chips but that requires a data recovery entity to get involve and the cost is high.
Any data your deem important and worth to you, should be backup, since a disk could fail without warning.

Crucial is a very good brand and that could happen to any disk in your system.

To prevent outages from breaking electronics you need to protect them.
Either power off and unplug power when there is a storm or get a good (UL-listed) surge protector or even better a UPS.
Usually a good PSU will take the hit, instead of passing it to the PC components.
Also, disable fast startup to allow windows to fully shutdown and prevent disk corruption when losing power.

Last edited:
Solution