SSD is somehow full

kalixin

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
First time using this forum. So hi everybody.

I am running into a rather irritatign issue with my SSD.
I have a custom built computer with a 60 gb OCZ vertex 2, and a 1 TB 7200 RPM hard drive.

I have windows, league of legends, and a few other files on my SSD, and the rest on my HDD.

My SSD has been gettign nearly full recently and it only had about 5gb left on it today. I went in and deleted download installers, temp files, history, every single file i dont need anymore (old game things). I moved (not copied) a lot of stuff to my HDD. I cleaned out my recycle bin, I used disk cleanup, and several other things to clean this thing out.

At the end of it all I had free up 6 more gbs of memory, so I had about 11-12 free. I was excited. I restart my computer and when i turned it on again I had less than 4gb available. I have NO IDEA what is going on.

My SSD had about 6gb used out of the box, naturally. so that put it at 54gb usable.

windows takes up about 21gb.
that leaves it at 33gb usable.

all other files that i had on there take another 13gb.
that leaves 20gb usable.

PAGEFILE, which is my ram, uses up about 8190 MB

So after calculating it out.. i should STILL be at that 11-12 GB free i saw before I restarted my computer.

I have tried to delete everything I can, i tried to search of hidden files, I have cleaned out my system restore folder and everything that people usually forget, and I even calculated pagefile into my equation.

I am pretty good with my computer stuff, but I cannot for the life of my figure out what is taking up this extra 8gb of SSD memory....

My question is --- why is it, that when I worked on everything, i got it down to 12gb free, then about 30 seconds later after I restarted it, and i checked the SSD, it said i had 4GB left.

Solution
Use spacemonger and see if there is a hibernation file on that drive. it could be an answer. see what is actually on there do your deletes then look again. do your restart then compare.

space monger has a free trial no need to pay

kalixin

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
I highlighted every single folder in my SSD and it says only 31.4GB of memory is being used.... thats with windows and all program files and everything.

Even with PAGEFILE and the initial amount that is used, i shouldnt be using more than 45-50gb of the hard drive.

so 11-12 sounds right.. not this 4gb nonsense that i got after my restart.

Assuming you are using windows 7 here. if you have not moved them your user files are on that disk too. these take up a lot of space over time. I found during installation it is easiest for me to run a script to move ALL user folders to my second drive and this stopped my disk from filling up.

do your self a favor and download Space monger it will read the disk and allow you to see exactly which files are on there and size also.

http://www.sixty-five.cc/download/

Use spacemonger and see if there is a hibernation file on that drive. it could be an answer. see what is actually on there do your deletes then look again. do your restart then compare.

space monger has a free trial no need to pay

Solution

rdc85

Honorable

+1 .....

I'm myself only do this :

- disable hibernation and delete it's files... (save a lot's of gig)

- move out page files to HDD........ (save another lot's of gig)

u should also do that especially with small size ssd....

--------------------
Also make sure TRIM is on and SSD running in ACHI mode... (Little out of context :D)
---------------------

kalixin

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
I read it all.

These are the ones i did

I made it so TEMP and TMP were moved to my HDD.
I disabled hibernation and system restore.

Also, I downloaded that software.. for some stupid reason I had something from chatroulette on there. I was screwing with people blasting gangnam style and i saw some of the people i was trolling... Why was that saved in my SSD and why were those video clips taking up nearly 5gb a piece?

I deleted them and my SSD has 20 GB free now.

Alternatively, one could use WinDirStat, which is GPL'ed instead of trial.