Question SSD is unusably slow after a full system upgrade ?

Jan 15, 2023
Hello! I am encountering something rather bizarre after fully rebuilding my system today and am wondering if anyone has seen this before. Basically, one of my primary SSDs has become absurdly slow. I was trying to transfer some data off of this SSD onto my new NVME drive, and I am getting ~700 KB/s (yes, KB) transfer speeds, even for large files. I tried to transfer 85 GB of data off of the drive (mix of large files and small), and after letting it run for 2 hours it was ~5% complete with an estimated time remaining of over 24 hours.

I ran CrystalDiskMark and my read speeds on the SSD appear to be the problem:

Disk-Speed.png

Note that I have another SSD connected to this same machine which is functioning perfectly well. The drive was working totally fine before I did my rebuild, so I'm assuming that I just did something stupid or need to set a random BIOS setting somewhere or something. I should note that I am a bit of a novice when it comes to building PCs. I've swapped out individual parts plenty of times, but this is only my 3rd full build ever.

I am using mostly default settings in the BIOS at this point. The only thing I changed was enabling legacy mode so that the BIOS would recognize my SSD as a boot device. Otherwise, everything booted up just fine, and the read speed of this drive seems to be my only issue.

The motherboard has 4 SATA ports and I am using all 4 (2x SSD, 1x HDD, 1x DVD rom drive). They all seem to be the same and are all marked as 6Gb/s ports. The manual of the motherboard doesn't mention any differences, so I'm assuming it doesn't matter which port each drive is using.

So far I have tried:
  • Updating motherboard BIOS to the latest version
  • Updating the firmware on the SSD in question
I am re-using from my old build:

SanDisk SDSSDHP 128 GB Sata SSD (this drive is working great, and is my boot drive - Windows 10)
Samsung 870 QVO 1TB SSD (this drive is my problem)
1x HDD (unsure on the model and I don't think it's relevant)
1x DVD ROM drive (don't judge me lol)
EVGA 80 Plus Bronze 850W Power supply

Parts new to my build as of today:

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB DDR4 RAM (2x 16GB)
ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 LGA 1700 Motherboard
Intel Core i7-12700K LGA1700 CPU
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge OC White Editiion 8GB GDDR6 256-bit PCIE 4.0 GPU
Western Digital 500 GB Blue SN570 NVMe SSD

So, does anyone have any ideas as to what I could try to fix the drive speed? TIA!

Jan 15, 2023
fresh os install?

Do you have reason to believe that would fix it? I really don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to. I'm not even sure how I would since my windows 10 install came from when they did free upgrades from windows 7, so I don't think I have a disk or anything to boot from.

USAFRet

Titan
Do you have reason to believe that would fix it? I really don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to. I'm not even sure how I would since my windows 10 install came from when they did free upgrades from windows 7, so I don't think I have a disk or anything to boot from.
What was the old motherboard and CPU?

A new motherboard and old drive+OS can cause many many issues.

A clean install is generally recommended, especially if you see any problems. Like you are currently.

You can create your own WIn 10 install USB, no need for your old WIn 7.

Jan 15, 2023
What was the old motherboard and CPU?

A new motherboard and old drive+OS can cause many many issues.

A clean install is generally recommended, especially if you see any problems. Like you are currently.

You can create your own WIn 10 install USB, no need for your old WIn 7.

Old Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Old CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 - Core i5 4th Gen Haswell Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1150 84W Intel HD Graphics Desktop Processor - ...

Ok I guess I will have to give a reinstall of the OS a shot. Thanks for the link.

Jan 15, 2023
Also, swap the SATA port for your troublesome drive.
Try a different one.

Unfortunately my new MB has 4 sata ports and I'm using all of them. So if there is something wrong with the port, then I'm just going to make a different device slow instead. Though it might be an interesting experiment just to eliminate that as a possible issue, so maybe I'll try that before resorting to reinstalling the whole OS

USAFRet

Titan

The specs for your new board does not indicate any disabling of SATA ports.
Some do.

So yes, I'd strongly recommend a fresh OS install.

Jan 15, 2023
Looks like I'm all set! When I opened my case to unhook my other SATA drives before doing the install, I noticed that the SATA connection to the drive that was giving me problems wasn't very secure. I ended up replacing the SATA cable in addition to re-installing windows, and now that drive is getting 500+ MB read speeds like it should :)

Thank you for the help, all, and for the encouragement to just re-install windows which I probably should have just done to begin with.