[SOLVED] SSD Is Write Protected

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
I have a Intel 660p 1TB SSD that has randomly become write-protected. I was able to view the files on it, but not write or even format in windows. I was finally able to format it via booting from a Win10 setup disk, but when I try to install Windows onto it it still says it can't be done and to check the Setup Log. What do I do with this thing?

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
I think you can use Diskpart to access the drive when booted from that Windows installer. Is that what you used to format it?

Did you run the "clean" command on it while you were in Diskpart?
I did use the "Clean All" command while in Diskpart (booted from windows installer) successfully, but still not able to write to the drive. When I actually launch Windows and try to open up Disk Management, it shows the volume but then states Access is Denied when trying to initialize the volume. Not sure where to go from here.

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
When SSD runs out of write cycles or a critical SMART parameter gets tripped, SSD locks itself.
It is usable for recovering data only. You can't use it normally anymore.
Replace it.
Ok, if that is really the case then I can send this thing back to Intel as it is less than a year old. Is there any way to confirm that there is a critical SMART parameter that got tripped before I send? When I run "wmic disk drive get status" I don't get any errors.. Thanks for the help...

Last edited:

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Ok, if that is really the case then I can send this thing back to Intel as it is less than a year old. Is there any way to confirm that there is a critical SMART parameter that got tripped before I send? When I run "wmic disk drive get status" I don't get any errors.. Thanks for the help...
And running CrystalDiskInfo shows so errors on the drive... 99% health left.