Question SSD issue: Current transfer mode is PCIe 4.0 x2, when it should be PCIe 4.0 x4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2023
The normal thing would be to think that the motherboard is not compatible with PCIe 4.0 x4, however it is compatible. Additionally, the processor is also compatible with PCIe 4.0 x4, so I have no idea where the problem lies.

The components I'm using:
SSD: Kingston KC3000 1 TB
Motherboard: B550M DS3H AC (rev. 1.0/1.1/1.2/1.3)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5600X
Graphic card: RX 6600

Fibe5Bc.jpg

pAt8kR2.png

6ihZOOS.jpg

Update: The M.2 is placed in the M2A_CPU slot, so I think the problem may be on the motherboard (factory defect) but it would be very rare.

Last edited:
The normal thing would be to think that the motherboard is not compatible with PCIe 4.0 x4, however it is compatible. Additionally, the processor is also compatible with PCIe 4.0 x4, so I have no idea where the problem lies.

The components I'm using:
SSD: Kingston KC3000 1 TB
Motherboard: B550M DS3H AC (rev. 1.0/1.1/1.2/1.3)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5600X
Graphic card: RX 6600

Fibe5Bc.jpg

pAt8kR2.png

6ihZOOS.jpg
Reseat the m.2.....test.

Look through the bios for a m.2 lane option.

Mar 26, 2023
As Bob said, reseat. A loose x4 PCIe SSD will report as x2 if certain pins are not in contact.

Done, it still doesn't work, but thank you for responding. Just in case it helps, I am attaching an image of the back of the SSD. I have noticed that there is a small defect on the pin in the highlighted area in the image, although it is not very clear.

oB57tYQ.jpg

Done, it still doesn't work, but thank you for responding. Just in case it helps, I am attaching an image of the back of the SSD. I have noticed that there is a small defect on the pin in the highlighted area in the image, although it is not very clear.

oB57tYQ.jpg

The last two pins (offset per side) are used for voltage (3.3V on this one) and then module type (pin 75 for SSD is always 0). You can see information on the drive in UEFI via NVMe Configuration, under Settings and IO Ports. I'm not sure if this is a software issue but that can be tested (bootable Linux, install KDiskMark) or hardware (a NVMe to PCIe adapter would at least show if 4 lanes can work on PCIEX4).

Mar 26, 2023
The last two pins (offset per side) are used for voltage (3.3V on this one) and then module type (pin 75 for SSD is always 0). You can see information on the drive in UEFI via NVMe Configuration, under Settings and IO Ports. I'm not sure if this is a software issue but that can be tested (bootable Linux, install KDiskMark) or hardware (a NVMe to PCIe adapter would at least show if 4 lanes can work on PCIEX4).

Update: I bought an M.2 to PCIe adapter and these are the results I got:
PCIE adapter:
-CDInfo:
aJb2neW.jpg

-BIOS:
Y6m38IJ.jpg

WNSNVrq.jpg

M2A_CPU slot:
-CDInfo:
Fibe5Bc.jpg

-BIOS:
LQ5I2No.jpg

Good to see the adapter works. Suggests issues with the M.2 slot or CPU - M.2 pins, CPU pins, or traces. If you had another SSD to try, that might help confirm it's not just a compatibility issue with the KC3000. CPUs/platforms can negotiate down with certain power settings but usually this is 4.0 -> 3.0 rather than bifurcating lanes. There are actually issues like this on the Z690 platform (Intel) that's kind of wonky with PCIe 5.0, but that does not apply here obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.