Question SSD Issue

Jun 27, 2019
Hello pro hardwarers, I recently bought a SSD 120GB ( I need it for one game thats why its so small ) I would like to install it. Since my hdd is very full I don't have a place to backup it. I'm okay with wiping my whole storage just to get the SSD working. I am not sure how to do that so that is my main question, how do i realize this whole plan? Thanks in advance.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Jun 27, 2019
No, I dont actually care where my OS is, im ok with having it on my HDD. I want the leave everything as it is now ( ok with wiping it ) but just having SSD as an extra for some games
E: What would happen if i just plug connect the SSD with SATA and POWER CABLE without doing anything just turning it off?

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
No, I dont actually care where my OS is, im ok with having it on my HDD. I want the leave everything as it is now ( ok with wiping it ) but just having SSD as an extra for some games
E: What would happen if i just plug connect the SSD with SATA and POWER CABLE without doing anything just turning it off?

Well, you'd have a secondary drive available to you to use inside Windows (you may have to initialize the drive & assign a drive letter - both things accomplished inside Disk Management).
HOWEVER, having an SSD for a game only, and not for your OS really defeats the purpose of having one.
Your OS should really reside on the SSD, for the overall snappiness in boot/load times etc. You should still have room for one game too, depending on the specific game though, of course.

popatim

Titan
Windows may detect the new drive and have you initialize it right after logging in; otherwise its off to Disk Management you go to follow Barty's instructions. You do not have to choose the next available drive letter. My game drive is G: for example.

If these are launcher app games, like Steam or Origin, then you will need to add the drive as a new library location the the respective apps and make sure the game installs there.

Have fun!!

TRENDING THREADS