SSD ISSUES - Could NOT BOOT INITIALLY BUT PUT IN HDD FROM USB AND NOW I CANNOT FIND THE SSD IN DISK MANAGEMENT

Jun 30, 2018
okay so initially i had tried to clone my HDD to my SSD on my laptop.

and then i switched out my HDD with my SSD.

when i tried to boot, it had an error: something like winload.efi

but it couldn't boot the drive

so i panicked and attactched my HDD to the USB slot and it booted and I panicked again and chose to reset my PC.

i dont know what to do now. in my bios, it recognizes my SSD but Idk how to boot from it now or if i can. possibly the clone failed because the SSD says it has not had much storage used.

Solution
Hi

I was recomending using migration not clone feature and the partition wizard running on a disk which is not being copied

You have to be carefull to identify 3.5" windows disk of your pc and 2.5" hard disk and SSD from laptop

(SATA is a lot faster than usb 2 and slightly faster than usb 3 connections)

Regards
Mike Barnes
Hi

First the ssd needs to be seen in the bios or uefi
Then in device manager and finally in disk management

Cloning a 1TB hard disk to a ssd is going to be difficult unless the ssd is also 1 TB

What cloning software did you use?
Did you clone the hard disk or just the c: partition?

Some cloning software will deal with a c: partition which has a lot of free space and produce a smaller size on the copy

You would have to clone all the partitions shown on the hard disk
Then probably do a start up repair from a windows boot disk which matches your version of windows

This would be with only the ssd connected to ensure all the startup files are on the ssd.

Regards
Mike Barnes

Jun 30, 2018

Hello,

My SSD Was seen in the BIOS and it is also seen in device manager.

I used Partition Wizard. Before, I believe I cloned the hard disk.

Now, I reinstalled Partition wizard on my laptop but I cannot find the SSD there either.

I am connecting both simultaneously by connecting my HDD through a USB-SATA adapter. My SSD is connected inside the PC, as I switched my HDD out for my SSD.

https://prnt.sc/k6plul
https://prnt.sc/k6pm0n

Jun 30, 2018

So you want me to clone my PC onto that SSD and then put the SSD back into my laptop through partition wizard?

Hi

I was recomending using migration not clone feature and the partition wizard running on a disk which is not being copied

You have to be carefull to identify 3.5" windows disk of your pc and 2.5" hard disk and SSD from laptop

(SATA is a lot faster than usb 2 and slightly faster than usb 3 connections)

Regards
Mike Barnes

Solution