SSD just suddenly died... PC can't detect it at all?

MangoBoy

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Hi TH! So I've come across a very unusual issue today. So I started up my PC to find it stuck at the BIOS (particularly on the screen where the '-' is flashing constantly.) My SSD is the 120 GB SanDisk Ultra II which i've been using for the past two years now. It was working perfectly fine last night, most of the time I do use this PC via remote desktop so I'm not sure what could've happened.

Now what's strange is that I swapped the SATA cables and everything, the SSD did not appear on the BIOS at all. I even tried putting it in a different computer and the computer didn't recognise it either. I also tried the Windows Recovery Tools thing but it didn't detect any drive.

Taking a look at it myself (physically) I did notice the connectors can be slightly jolted depending on how they're connected, but other than that there was no real physical problem for what I could see (I thought I'd try it out myself anyway.) I did open it up and got a picture of it here, if anyone's interested. I feel like it might be very much passed its life but there's a lot of data that I need from it, such as things you dont put on a hard drive lol. Thank you for your help!

Solution
Yeah it sounds like it is dead. You could try a data recovery service if you have mission critical data on it but otherwise just use something else until you get a new one.

Here is the link to get in contact with SanDisk recovery services: https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4985/~/data-recovery-for-memory-cards-and-flash-drives Just don't expect it to be cheap (looking at their pricing, it will be $425 + $75 or just $425 if you provide your own media to copy the data).

If it is any consolation, I haven't had an SSD die (yet) but most of the HDDs that died on me did so without warning in the same way. They just stopped being detected.
Yeah it sounds like it is dead. You could try a data recovery service if you have mission critical data on it but otherwise just use something else until you get a new one.

Here is the link to get in contact with SanDisk recovery services: https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4985/~/data-recovery-for-memory-cards-and-flash-drives Just don't expect it to be cheap (looking at their pricing, it will be $425 + $75 or just $425 if you provide your own media to copy the data).

If it is any consolation, I haven't had an SSD die (yet) but most of the HDDs that died on me did so without warning in the same way. They just stopped being detected.

Solution