[SOLVED] SSD Keeps Locking Up

jimr1354

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
Hi everybody! I have an older laptop that I want to speedup a little. I bought an mSATA SSD along with a little mounting board and case. The laptop has a PATA connector where it plugs into and I couldn't find an SSD with that type connector so I got the mSATA board with the PATA connector. I mounted the mSATA SSD, 128gb, and put everything together and installed it all in the laptop. I booted it up and everything was going ok. I was going to install Win 10. When the OS starts to install, everything locks up. If I try to format the SSD, it locks up. If I don't it still locks up. Everything I read says that most laptops can be upgraded to an SSD. I couldn't clone it as I don't have the cloning program or other parts.
The laptop in an HP Compaq Presario with 2gb of memory and a 2ghz processor. I use it for email and chatting etc... I know it is old but it works for me. Am I doing or not doing something to get the mSATA to work? It is recognized in the bios. Any info would be appreciated.

Jimr1354

Solution
That's the thing--those 4 pins are either master or slave and might not have a Cable Select configuration. A vertical jumper or not across the master pins is master either way, and jumpering both is listed as "prohibit." Sometimes cross-wise can be jumper storage, prohibit or the desired Cable Select.

That may also depend on the drive, not the adapter. Sheesh, I'm glad everything went to ports instead of buses.

jimr1354

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
Read this article:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...q-Presario-CQ61-110SA-Windows-10/td-p/6543219

Your computer is too old for Windows 10

If you really want to revive the laptop, you can install Linux to it. Myself have an old Dell Latitude D620 from 2007'ish which works just fine. I have installed Linux Lite on it.

The tool I use for backup of whole disk images (i.e. the old windows installation) is Clonezilla.

This laptop runs Win 10 with no problems on a regular HDD. Why not on an SSD? The laptop is a V5000 ( V5305WM ) Hp Compaq Presario.

jimr1354

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
This laptop runs Win 10 with no problems on a regular HDD. Why not on an SSD? The laptop is a V5000 ( V5305WM ) Hp Compaq Presario.
Hi everybody! I have an older laptop that I want to speedup a little. I bought an mSATA SSD along with a little mounting board and case. The laptop has a PATA connector where it plugs into and I couldn't find an SSD with that type connector so I got the mSATA board with the PATA connector. I mounted the mSATA SSD, 128gb, and put everything together and installed it all in the laptop. I booted it up and everything was going ok. I was going to install Win 10. When the OS starts to install, everything locks up. If I try to format the SSD, it locks up. If I don't it still locks up. Everything I read says that most laptops can be upgraded to an SSD. I couldn't clone it as I don't have the cloning program or other parts.
The laptop in an HP Compaq Presario with 2gb of memory and a 2ghz processor. I use it for email and chatting etc... I know it is old but it works for me. Am I doing or not doing something to get the mSATA to work? It is recognized in the bios. Any info would be appreciated.

Jimr1354

I don't buy your response that the laptop is TOO OLD to run Win 10. I have run Win 10 on a regular hdd with no problems. But, I do see a lot of information online that you can install an ssd into just about any old laptop. The Hp/Compaq Presario that I have is a V5305WM. It does use a PATA /IDE hdd with the pin connector. I bought an mSATA SSD drive and the mounting card and case. Sometimes when installing Win 10, the laptop locks up. So
I bought a SATA adapter cable so I could CLONE the HDD to the SSD via the USB port. That worked, BUT when I install the SSD in the laptop, it tried to boot up but says there is an error. Its missing boot information. I tried to repair it with the Win 10 repair function but that was a no go. I guess I might have to try and find an SSD with a PATA/IDE pin connector?
The laptop DOES recognize the SSD

Old Compaqs seem to like the IDE drives set at Cable Select but I've never seen a mSATA to PATA adapter with such jumper settings. I have seen selectable 3.3v or 5v which is odd because 1.8" IDE drives use different connectors than 2.5".

May have better luck with a CF to PATA adapter instead. 44-pin IDE SSDs probably aren't any faster anyway, provided you pick a CF card that supports DMA transfers.

popatim

Titan
Well you have the 4 jumper pins there at the end of the pata connector. Snag a jumper and try one then the other.

jumper up and down when the pins are like : :::::::::::::::: ::

Those last 4 are the Master/Slave and or Cable Select. This assumes the info is not included with your msata adapter.

That's the thing--those 4 pins are either master or slave and might not have a Cable Select configuration. A vertical jumper or not across the master pins is master either way, and jumpering both is listed as "prohibit." Sometimes cross-wise can be jumper storage, prohibit or the desired Cable Select.

That may also depend on the drive, not the adapter. Sheesh, I'm glad everything went to ports instead of buses.

Solution