SSD Kingston Freezing

jvagundy

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
I've got a Kingston SSDs that I have externally attached via USB 3.0. The enclosure has a Y cable for extra power. I have VMWare images on the SSDs so I can run demos. Everything starts up fine but after about 15 minutes I get an error message from VWWare saying that my E:\ drive is disconnected. The E:\ drive is my external SSD. My curser freezes and does not seem to recover. Not sure what's going on. I have a Lenovo W530 laptop running Win 7 64 bit. My BIOS is set for USB 3.0 to be auto. My old Lenovo W510 does not seem to have this issue. One last thing, when I run the VMWare images on my internal HDD, I don't get a problem.

Solution
Under power management options, go to custom profile/option or advanced options and look for a field for both USB devices and disk drives. Select the option to not allow windows to shut off the device while idle / shut off the device to save power. That would be my first guess. It may be that the second Y cable, which doesn't have any signalling capabilities as far as I know, is being shut off after the connection power-on time period times out.
Under power management options, go to custom profile/option or advanced options and look for a field for both USB devices and disk drives. Select the option to not allow windows to shut off the device while idle / shut off the device to save power. That would be my first guess. It may be that the second Y cable, which doesn't have any signalling capabilities as far as I know, is being shut off after the connection power-on time period times out.

Solution

jvagundy

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Thanks. I had the USB Sleep disabled both on battery and plugged in. However, on hard drive the drive goes to sleep after 20 minutes when plugged in. My old system had this set to never. I'm going to change my new system to be like my old system and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.